Small package prices....

Options
Hi
I've ebayed for ages, and when you post your stuff, you ask for small package rate and don't put any letters in the package cos it's loads cheaper...

I can't seem to find the small package rates on the website though - can anyone help me???

(also would this count if you were sending a small package full of leaflets? Ie: 500ish leaflets all the same for someone else to distribute??)

Cheers AG

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,264 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There is no small packet rate within the UK.

For overseas packages however you can have a small packet rate either surface mail or airmail.

Soo
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Amba_Gambla
    Amba_Gambla Posts: 12,107 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    i thought there was a cheaper rate for sending within the UK when there was no letter involved...???

do you just have to pay normal 1st/2nd class prices for small parcels??
  • soolin
    Options
    i thought there was a cheaper rate for sending within the UK when there was no letter involved...???

do you just have to pay normal 1st/2nd class prices for small parcels??

Yes for internal UK there is only the choice of 1st. 2nd or parcel post. There is another rate especially for people registered blind, but I don't know how that works as I've never had to use it.

In the 'old days', at least 6 years or so ago, there used to be printed paper rate for books and magazines (they had to be sent open though).

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/jump2?catId=400023&mediaId=400028&keyname=ssm

Oh, and be aware that from next year sometime the system changes again and letter prices will be paid for on dimension as well as weight which may put several sellers out of business.

Soo
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • OllieLong
    Options
    If you asked for something to be sent by airmail would the Post Office send it by the cheapest way?

I ask this because I need to send a PC game to America and I looked on the Royal Mail website and it quoted me £2.53 for airmail letter but only £1.56 for airmail small packets.
  • soolin
    Options
    OllieLong wrote:
    If you asked for something to be sent by airmail would the Post Office send it by the cheapest way?

I ask this because I need to send a PC game to America and I looked on the Royal Mail website and it quoted me £2.53 for airmail letter but only £1.56 for airmail small packets.

You usually have to ask for small packet rate and they will ask you if there is anything in it apart from the item declared on the customs label. As long as it is the item only then you will be fine with small packet rate.

Soo
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure