My first bank account, my first debit card... My first experience with a hard seller?

Options
Hey guys..

I thought I had better set up my first bank account a few weeks ago, and my Dad recommended me the Premier 21 account. I think he was just after the £25, because I haven't enjoyed my experience with them so far.

I set it up online, and recieved the letters rather quickly. I got them signed, attached a copy of my birth certificate, sent it off, became verified, opened an account (They also opened a PlusSaver account for me, no idea what that's supposed to be though) and got the details I needed to log in.

Today I got my debit card, but I have to ring a premium rate number on the front to activate it.

I'm going to sound very pathetic now, but I am not very good at speaking to people and I never, ever use the phone. I don't even have a mobile. I looked online for any other alternative but there isn't any, and I came across some horror stories about hard sellers and abusive staff on the other end of the line.

I don't have any money in my account yet, but I feel as if I should activate this anyway just incase I ever need it. Could my parents ring up if I gave them my details?

I'm 16, and have trouble speaking to people. It's a recent thing, and it's upsetting to know that it's affected my life this much.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• JPizzle
    JPizzle Posts: 143 Forumite
    Options
    Your parents could, they only ask for some of the numbers off the card and your name and address.

They try and sell identity protection, and I said I'm not interested, and that was that.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    They won't sell you anything because if you are only 16 you are a minor and not entitled to enter into any non - necessary contracts.
    The telephone might even be an automated one where you need to confirm some details such as date of birth and then card number.
  • JPizzle
    JPizzle Posts: 143 Forumite
    Options
    They will try and sell you something at 16. The first time I activated a card with them I got a big talk for about 5 minutes about it.

The second time, she asked if I wanted to hear about identity theft protection and I said no.
  • Scousebird_2
    Options
    Just say ''No thanks, my parents have got a policy for the household so I don't need it''. They can't overcome that objection.
    Loan-£3600 only 24 months of payments to go!!!
    All debt consolodated and cards destroyed!!
    As D'Ream would sing 'Things.....can only get better'!!!
  • TheEffect
    TheEffect Posts: 2,293 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I activated mine when I got it a few months ago. You speak to a real person. They ask you for the card number, your age and address. It takes about 10 seconds. If you're under 18, they wont try and sell you anything.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure