We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Phone charger burnt!

Options
My mother smelt something burning...looked in her room...and saw the nokia charger...she picked it up...and it feel apart..and burnt her hand...

Look:

image0104nu.th.jpg

image0113vo.th.jpg

******* Nokia!!!

Comments

• ManAtHome
    ManAtHome Posts: 8,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've had several Nokias - good thing is I've always been able to upgrade to a phone using the same charger, so I have one in each room (and one in the case for hols..). Never had a problem with any of the chargers - you didn't have any damage to the lead did you? Usual cause of overheating is if the output wires are shorted.
  • unknown_786
    Options
    have had several nokias too..have several chargers around the house too..never had a problem..but now im scared 2 leave my phone charging when im not in the room!
  • Altarf
    Altarf Posts: 2,916 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    saw the nokia charger

Was it a charger made by Nokia or a charger for a Nokia (i.e. a cheapo copy)?

If it was made by Nokia they would certainly want to hear about this.
  • unknown_786
    Options
    no its a real one...or was should i say
  • ianian99
    ianian99 Posts: 3,095 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    how do you know its a real one? did it come with the phone and are you using it the phone it came with? some nokia charger are different voltages and milliamps.Also there are a lot of fake nokia chargers around, I bought a job lot that were all stamped up nokia on the charger but were counterfites, I didn't sell any but did go through quite a few with my nokia 3310, most of them stopped working but one popped one day, blowing the front off it and it was burnt out inside, I had 2 of the old ones that had stopped working in the drwer so opened them up and they were all burnt out so I cut the cable off all the ones I had left and binned them. So you've either got a fake or your using wronmg charger in the wrong fone, can you take a close up of the plug side were the writing is and i'll be able to tell you if its a fake. never buy mains phone chargers for a couple of quid, not worth the risk.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,198 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Been leaving mine plugged in even when phone not charging, about to stop doing that ...
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Raggie
    Raggie Posts: 613 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote:
    Been leaving mine plugged in even when phone not charging, about to stop doing that ...

I seem to remember that a phone charger still uses 25% of its normal power (when charging) when just plugged in and switched on, and not conntected to the phone.

If thats the case true money saving means turn off everything thats not being used...lol
    The only place where success comes before work is the dictionary…
  • hjb123
    hjb123 Posts: 32,002 Forumite
    Options
    In our local town there is an 'everything £1' shop and it always has a pile of nokia chargers - I wouldnt touch them! Would rather pay that bit more and know where it had come from!

In our family there has always been a few nokia phones and chargers and we have had no problems so far.

Was it left near a heater or somewhere that could do some damage?

H
    Weight Loss - 102lb
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills