Alliance And Leicester - Don't Bother

Options
As per Martin's advice I too, jumped from a 20 year account with the Abbey to the Alliance and Leicester.

I have had nothing but problems ever since.

It has now been 7 weeks since I opened my account but my direct debits and standing orders have still not been moved over.

Every day I get home to yet more contradictory letters from A&L. I am sick and tired of calling them on their premium numbers and running up my phone bill each time.

Wished I hadn't bothered. Abbey account was running fine all these years and never a day's bother with them.

They have until mid Sept to resolve. Otherwise I will be closing the account and going back to the Abbey.

You have been warned.

Comments

• sar_h
    sar_h Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    We've had problems with them too, Sparkly B -

OH decided to open an account after they were recommended here as were offering interest free overdraft transfer. They instead opened a different account (without a free overdraft). OH decided not to bother with them, as that wasn't what he wanted at all. He didn't bother to activate the account or send back his signature.

He assumed all was ok until he got a letter stating that a direct debit had been refused as there was no money in the account, and tried to charge him £25!

When he phoned to find out what was going on, he was accused of fraud! When he pointed out is was Alliance and Leicester's error, they said they would investigate. That was months ago, and they just keep adding on charges for him being overdrawn (because he refused to pay the initial £25.00 charge - he's never used the account).

All he keeps getting is standard letters that don't apply to him "you must cut up your cards and chequebook or you are breaking the law" he's never used them! Also "you cannot reclaim any bank charges yet..."

I would advise not to use them as their call centre employees are extremely unhelpful.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure