International banking

Options
Hello. I'll shortly be taking up a post in sub-saharan Africa for a major NGO and need to open an account in London (I already have a semi-dormant account with BPPC in France). I'll be paid in US dollars but cash access (Cheques or ATMs) and transfers will be in €uros. Could anybody advise me on which UK bank and current account is likely to be the most useful/least onerous? Thanks.

Comments

• Cranston_2
    Options
    Hi

You can open GBP/EUR/USD savings and current account's with Citibank London.

Great on-line access. Checkout their website.

You can switch your money between currencies very easily.

Others may have better ideas
    "Brevity is the soul of wit and it is also the essence of effective communication" Rush Limbaugh.
  • occamsrazor
    Options
    Agree. I would go for Citibank London.
    Their dollar account in particular works quite well.
    You get one card and can switch which account (£,$,Euro) it debits from by phoning them up, and the switch is instant.
    If you do go to Citibank, maybe also open a US Dollar Reward saver to get some interest on your savings (2%, or 3% introductory offer) though if you withdraw from that account you lose a month's interest.
    And you must open these accounts BEFORE you leave the UK, they won't open for non-residents, though will keep them open when you become non-resident. They will send cards, statements, abroad etc. It works though e.g. if you need a new PIN or card bear in mind it may take a week or two to actually reach you by post. Sometimes if it was very urgent they couriered it to me.
    Also Citibank offer fee-free SEPA euro transfers to other european bank accounts, and if you have the Citibank Plus current account, which does cost £10/month, as a non-resident you get reduced rate SWIFT transfers at £10 each.
    I had these accounts when I was in West Africa and it worked well for me.
  • cram_nosbor
    Options
    merci beacoup, I'll follow these up.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills