Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

How to make a PC safe to sell? EDIT: Appear to have broken it now....

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Techie Stuff
34 replies 1.7K views
lilmissmuplilmissmup Forumite
6.9K Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Techie Stuff
I brought my new pc a year ago and have an old one just sitting upstairs which is never used.

I am wanting to sell it on eBay to make £100 or so.

How can i completely restore it so no-one can access any private information that might somehow still be on hard drive? I know i need to restore windows to its original settings but just wondered if there is any software i can use to wipe any hidden files off the hard drive?
Now a SAHM trying to earn some spare pennies each month

Replies

• tradetimetradetime Forumite
    3.2K Posts
    lilmissmup wrote: »
    I brought my new pc a year ago and have an old one just sitting upstairs which is never used.

I am wanting to sell it on eBay to make £100 or so.

How can i completely restore it so no-one can access any private information that might somehow still be on hard drive? I know i need to restore windows to its original settings but just wondered if there is any software i can use to wipe any hidden files off the hard drive?
    Dban you will need a windows or recovery CD if you want to sell it with an OS installed
    Doubt you get £100 for it mind, unless it's pretty modern.
    Hope for the best.....Plan for the worst!

"Never in the history of the world has there been a situation so bad that the government can't make it worse." Unknown
  • lilmissmuplilmissmup Forumite
    6.9K Posts
    Its 4 years old with 15" TFT Monitor, XP on it, 512mb, 180gb harddrive, can't remember the rest, i upgraded the graphics card on it.

If i make some money its better than nowt.
    3.2K Posts
    Its 4 years old with 15" TFT Monitor, XP on it, 512mb, 180gb harddrive, can't remember the rest, i upgraded the graphics card on it.

If i make some money its better than nowt.
    Absolutely, have no idea what that would fetch, but if you Dban the drive then reinstall your OS.
    DriveMax run before you wipe it and saved to a disc will make it easier to put all your drivers back on after re-install of OS in case you missing any software discs.

"Never in the history of the world has there been a situation so bad that the government can't make it worse." Unknown
  • lilmissmuplilmissmup Forumite
    6.9K Posts
    All the software came on the PC so i don't have an XP Disc.

Do i need to make a windows recovery disk then go from there?

I think i do have one somewhere.

Sorry for sounding stoopid.
  • poppy_f1poppy_f1 Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭

use the recovery disc or make one from the PC then run it
  • John_GrayJohn_Gray Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Have a look at the free Eraser from Heidi Computers, which can be run under Windows to delete files. Obviously, check that it does what you want!
    3.2K Posts

Usually if there is no XP disc, there is some sort of proprietary recovery disc which will restore the computer to the state it was in when you bought it, this would contain your OS and likely any software that was bundled with it. (Unless of course it has somesort of recovery partition) Running Dban will erase this.which would complicate things.

3.2K Posts
    John_Gray wrote: »
    Have a look at the free Eraser from Heidi Computers, which can be run under Windows to delete files. Obviously, check that it does what you want!
    Eraser uses Dban for a full hard drive wipe or at least it used to. If you have no means of recovering your system however Eraser will do the job for you slightly differently though. You simply delete all the files and folders etc that you don't want falling into strangers hands, then run a wipe free space with Eraser, which would leave a recovery partition intact if you have one, and then you can recover your system to factory default afterwards

• How do i know which file to download? The PC is Windows XP Home.

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=37015&package_id=65323&release_id=567184
  • The eraser uses dban doesn't it?

I have found 1 Master DVD i made last year, should XP take up 2 dvds for recovery as for some reason i have written Master DVD 1 on it and wondering if i had to make a 2nd disc? Its not full the one i found.....
This discussion has been closed.