Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

son wants a laptop for his birthday

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Techie Stuff
10 replies 571 views
bluepriceybluepricey Forumite
809 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Techie Stuff
hi my son is twelve in two weeks and starts high school tueday wants a laptop for his birthday but can only afford a reconditioned one or one off ebay what is the things i should be looking for on it sorry a bit of a techno phobe he just wants to do his homework on it go on the internet and do music for his mp3 and pics thaqnks in advance
:confused::confused::confused:

Replies

• tradetimetradetime Forumite
    3.2K Posts
    Roughly what sort of budget are you thinking of?
    PC world does reconditioned laptops.
    I'd be thinking of 1GB RAM unless it's Vista then 2GB
    >1.6 Ghz Processor wouldn't worry about dual core
    70+ GB Hard drive.
    Hope for the best.....Plan for the worst!

"Never in the history of the world has there been a situation so bad that the government can't make it worse." Unknown
  • If you tell us how much you can afford to spend ,you may be surprised by what people here can find .
    You would be far better off buying new .Laptops tend to be treated differently to desktops and second hand ones can be a bit of a gamble ..Things like batteries not holding charge .
  • around £150 to £200
  • BrowntoaBrowntoa Forumite, Board Guide
    48.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    this is just over budget at £228 new, it's via Dell business but you just enter a name for business (you may be starting a home business ;) ) and they never even ring to check 99% of the time

http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/235761/dell-vostro-1000-laptop-amd-sempron

quote:-

Great if you dont want to spend too much on a laptop and still be able use it for every day tasks. Apply the 10% voucher i've uploaded to get this price (GLTV1QH8DCMLWF). Dont forget use quidco to get £7.76 cashback bringing it down to just £220.31

Remember Voucher expires at the end of AUG 31st

Detailed specifications -

Catalog Number: 202 N0910003

Base AMD® Sempron Mobile Technology 3600+

Microsoft Operating System Genuine Windows® Vista Home Basic with Service Pack 1 - English

Memory 1024 MB 667MHz Dual-Channel DDR2 SDRAM (2x 512 MB)

Video Card ATI Radeon® Xpress 1150 HyperMemory (integrated)

Hard Drive 80GB (5400rpm) SATA Hard Drive

Modem 56.6k V.92 Capable Internal Modem & Adapter - UK

Optical Devices Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive including Software

Wireless Networking Dell Wireless 1395 Mini-Card (802.11 b/g)

Microsoft Application Software Microsoft® Works 9.0 - English

Standard Warranty 1Yr Basic Warranty - Next Business Day
    Enhanced Service Packs 1Yr Basic Warranty - Next Business Day Onsite

Power Supply 65W AC Adapter

Primary Battery 4 cell Lithium-Ion Battery (29 Whr)

Dell System Media Kit Resource DVD - (Diagnostics & Drivers)

LCD 15.4" Wide Screen WXGA (1280 x 800) Display
    Links in my signature currently broken
    I'm the Board Guide of the ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to [email protected] Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.[
  • johnmcjohnmc Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    I'd have to ask why he specifically wants a laptop. I wouldn't be happy sending mine to school with a decent mobile, let alone a laptop.

I would suggest a desktop which is going to be bigger storage, more memory, better graphics etc. But then it's HIS birthday.

Needless to say, if it's on Ebay it's old.

Take a look on Currys.co.uk for refurbished laptops.

If it's running on Vista I suggest that you need 2Gb of RAM, minimum.
  • Just a quick search returns this
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/235761/dell-vostro-1000-laptop-amd-sempron/

Hotukdeals is a good site to bookmark as it gets new offers listed daily .
    Could you not persuade him to get a desktop ?

EDIT*Damn My slow typing (again)**
  • thanks browntoa that sounds great didn't think i could afford dell
    3.2K Posts
    I think PC worlds refurbs start around £229, the advantage of a refurb from here is you have an easy point of contact if it goes wrong, I would be hesitant about a refurb laptop off ebay myself.

"Never in the history of the world has there been a situation so bad that the government can't make it worse." Unknown
  • BrowntoaBrowntoa Forumite, Board Guide
    48.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    my daughters both have basic Dells, ample for what they do
    Links in my signature currently broken
    I'm the Board Guide of the ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to [email protected] Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.[
    3.2K Posts

This discussion has been closed.