Cost of a medical £90 any ideas

Need a medical for my HGV license which consists of a form to be filled in with my GP and I.
Granted I need my blood pressure taken and my height and weight but the rest is just ticking boxes, rung the GP centre to book an appointment the receptionist told me it will be £90:eek:.Now tell me if I am being harsh but £90:eek: for 15 mins work that makes the fee £360 :eek: per hour.
Any way can't have my appointment when I want even though I am paying I've got to fit around the surgery.
Can I go elsewhere for this medical or am I tied to the local gp and if I can go elsewhere any ideas of who to contact?
All I want to do is work for a living no wonder the HGV trade is running out of drivers!
Thanks in advance

Comments

• Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,765
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    You can go to any (registered) Doctor. Often semi-retired GPs just do these sort of medicals.
    Googling "HGV medicals" gave the 1st hit as £40 in the west Midlands.
  • Margaret54
    Margaret54 Posts: 842 Forumite
    Hi sorry I can't help you here but I do think that £90 is outrageous. I asked my husband there when I read your post how much he had to pay for a medical when he had to have one for his job and he said his firm paid for it as he was learning to drive a higher class of lorry than before, and he said he thinks that amount is way too much. I do hope you find someone who is much cheaper and I wish you all the best with your new job, whenever it happens.
    Do a little kindness every day.;)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    my DH pays £60 every 3 years to keep his hgv licence.
  • eeeeen
    eeeeen Posts: 98 Forumite
    Thanks for that, i think it is outrageous to I am a driver already its just to renew so I can continue,as I work for myself I will have to pay myself but thanks to a reply from Andy L I have now found somewhere on google near to me For £49 giving me a saving of £41. Thanks martins money saving expert
  • debsy42
    debsy42 Posts: 1,735
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Unfortunately these kinds of fees are recommended by the BMA so GP's can charge pretty much what they want :rolleyes:
    ITV Winners Club #87 :eek:
  • peediedj
    peediedj Posts: 1,267 Forumite
    think mine cost me £87
    Live in my shoes for a week,then tell me your lifes hard!
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Forumite
    My DD was quoted £90 for a medical for her new job by her GP but when she went they only charged her £12. She only needed a form filling in and confirmation of her immunisation record so no real GP time needed as she went to the new employers own Drs for the actual medical. Seems a lot for a few minutes work.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • eeeeen
    Seems a lot for a few minutes work.[/quote]

Could'nt agree more
  • eeeeen
    debsy42 wrote: »
    Unfortunately these kinds of fees are recommended by the BMA so GP's can charge pretty much what they want :rolleyes:

yes I understand the BMA recommend but it does'nt excuse £90 fee for 15 mins work (in my opinion) when you find that you can get it for as little as £40 and its not like I am a drain on the surgery I don't visit often lucky if its once a year
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,765
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    eeeeen wrote: »
    Seems a lot for a few minutes work.

Could'nt agree more[/quote]

Have you paid for a plumber recently :-)

Remember it's not just the doctors time during the medical. they've got todocument it after you leave to cover their backside if you keel over while driving the lorry & keep that record for years. then you've got on the on costs that any business suffers: NI , premises rent & utilities, business rates, support staff costs, VAT.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure