can anybody help me?

i'm having a bit of a situation that's bothering me. I'm sure I should have rights but I don't know what they are! could anybody help?

I bought a Cardigan from ASOS.com in March. I have worn it a few times and washed it probably 5 or 6 times (always following the washing instructions of course) but each time I have washed it, it's condition has deteriorated more and more. There are holes all over it - in the fabric, not at the seams - buttons have fallen off it, the button holes are warped and stretched and it's generally looking worn and thin like I have owned it for years. This wasn't a dirt cheap thing, It cost me £20.

Sometime in June I contacted them about it telling them my problem and asking what I could do about it. They contacted me back with a freepost label and told me to post it to them for inspection - they would decide whether it was a fault with the item or general wear and tear.

I did this and enclosed a letter stating everything wrong with it and how I'm shocked it has gone like this in such a short time. Finally, a couple of days ago I received it back with a letter saying they can't accept the return as it is not in it's original condition and it is outside the 14 days returns policy.

A bit annoyed that they had ignored me, I emailed them back yesterday and have just received a reply stating that quality control have decided that the item has been "ripped/broken/stained" (the item is none of those things) since I bought it and therefore it's my fault and they wont refund me.

What can I do next? I'm really annoyed about this not only because of the item being so rubbish, but because they appear to be ignoring everything I am saying and sending me standard replies that are completely irrelevant.

I want a refund or credit note but I'm getting stuck! Any ideas?

Comments

• maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Holes in the fabric? Have moths got at it?
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • no there just seems to be more and more each time I wash it - It's like the fabric is just falling apart. It's not my detergent or machine because I don't have this problem with anything else
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    So is it stained?
  • nope. It's not stained, "broken" or ripped. It's literally just the rubbish fabric is falling apart, wearing thin and warping out of shape, the buttons have fallen off and the button holes have stretched far to big to hold them if they were there anyway.
  • anbody? :s
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Do you use fabric conditioner?
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • omen666
    omen666 Posts: 2,206 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Personally I shop at ASOS all the time and have never had a problem and always get great service. the fact that they sent you a FREEPOST label and inspected it to me looks lke they have done their reasonable best. I cannot see that their inspection results would just consiste of ripped/broken/stained. Even so if there are some wholes in there surely that would come under ripped if that is how they see it.

Anyway all this for a score, pmsfl
  • Honeydog
    Honeydog Posts: 877 Forumite
    Just a thought - ask them to send it back to you so that you can get Trading Standards to have a look at it. Maybe there are other people who have had the same problem. Tell them you intend to involve TS and see if it has any effect.

ASOS.com just might decide it is easier to give you a credit note than to enter a protracted battle with TS.

£20 is a funny amount of money.

It is enough so you don't want to let things just go without doing anything but not so much that it is worth getting really upset and spending a lot of your time over.

HTH HD
    Don't grow up. Its a trap!

Peace, love and labradors!
  • Well, just incase anyone is interested...

I too shop at ASOS all the time and have never encountered problems before. Like honeydog said, it's not enough money to spend a lot of effort on, but too much to just accept without at least trying to argue my point.

I was happy with the freepost label and happily sent it off for inspection - I was more annoyed that the replies I received were standardised templates and nobody seemed to be paying attention to what I was saying. If the cardigan had been returned to me with a response relevant to my case, I would have probably left it at that.

Anyway. As it stands, I replied saying I was unhappy with the response and that I felt I was being ignored, and I have received another response saying that they will refund me £16 on this occassion as a goodwill gesture.

The response was very nice and helpful and I'm more than happy now so all in all a pleasant experience with the returns department! I like ASOS again now :D

One MSE response warranted a knock on my conscience though - yes, I use fabric conditioner - would that have affected it?! The label didn't say not to use it...
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    Nicster83 wrote: »

I'm sure I should have rights but I don't know what they are! could anybody help?
    As long as you followed any instructions on handling/washing/drying, You have the right to a refund as the product was faulty early on.
    Sometime in June I contacted them about it telling them my problem and asking what I could do about it.
    So you reported it to them after 3 months - good
    a letter saying they can't accept the return as it is not in it's original condition and it is outside the 14 days returns policy.
    I would have replied that it obviously was not in the original condition, and was obviously outside 14 days. This was the whole reason for you returning the item, because you felt it was not of satisfactory quality, it had deteriorated. I would also have told them that they appear to have forgotten the reason why you were returning it, and have dealt with it as a returned item "no longer wanted" rather than a returned item "for being unsatisfactory".
    A bit annoyed that they had ignored me, I emailed them back yesterday and have just received a reply stating that quality control have decided that the item has been "ripped/broken/stained" (the item is none of those things) since I bought it and therefore it's my fault and they wont refund me.
    Again it seems they were treating it as un unwanted return rather than a return for being unsatisfactory under SOGA.
    What can I do next? I'm really annoyed about this not only because of the item being so rubbish, but because they appear to be ignoring everything I am saying and sending me standard replies that are completely irrelevant.
    What you would have done next was to send a letter explaining your position clearly, stating that you found the product did not conform to contract under the sale of goods act section 14, and as the fault became apparent within 6 months of purchase, you deem the product to be inherently faulty at the time of sale and you therefore require of them a refund.

I note the situation is now resolved to your satisfaction. So I just wrote this for reference.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure