We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Compulsory Dvd screens

Options
This issue has been slowly growing inside me for some time, the now common place of multiple company flashy logos that slowly appear on the screen as you play your dvd.

Example - I recently purchased Red Dwarf series VII (outstanding, very good - not as good as some of the earlier series, but thats another post for another day) upon the dvd loading you are subject to viewing just under 2 minutes of company graphics ,theme tones and legal issues warnings.

I can understand the need to have an un-skip-able legal warnings screen but do I really need to see the BBC logo every time I want to watch the dvd. Dvd's were great when they first made their way onto the market, no flashy expensive animation logos or animated menus straight to the main menu where you were given your options, play movie etc etc.

I love all the extras that the majority of all dvd's contain but is there the need to have a 30 second animation going from menu to menu, I'd rather have the option to choose high graphics and low graphics menus very much like web sites.

But by no means is this Red Dwarf dvd the worst I have, I have a fox dvd that has a compulsory viewing of 5 film trailers that start immediately after the legal warnings.

Ahh, pain in the rear.
Wales will be disregarded until given a place in "its a small world"

Comments

• robnye
    robnye Posts: 5,411 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    hear hear.... i agree.... the menu button should be allowed to be used.... much earlier that you can at the.....
    smile --- it makes people wonder what you are up to.... ;) :cool:
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    Options
    I read about someone I think entered the hack code to make it multiregion and this also freed up the lock on the start up screens. I doubt it applies to all machines but maybe there are people out there who know how to hack this part of a dvd player set up too. Or know which dvd players the hacks free this part up aswell.
  • gizmoleeds
    gizmoleeds Posts: 2,232 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I totally agree with all of this.
    MACacd wrote:
    I can understand the need to have an un-skip-able legal warnings screen
    I don't think these need to be "un-skippable". Some DVDs don't make them un-skipable, and I very much doubt a court would let someone who had pirated DVDs get off because they had "skipped past the warning and didn't know it was illegal". You could fast forward through warnings on VHS tapes, and they were still perfectly valid.

Some DVDs even have them after the movie!
  • Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Disney dvd's are by far the worse offenders, there can be 5-6 warnings and intro's to get through before watching the actually movies. Fortunately I now play dvds through pc and tv so i can skip all that utter rubbish with the click of a button.
  • Ellie2758
    Ellie2758 Posts: 2,848 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I agree with all of the above. Bloody annoying.

Ellie
    Ellie :cool:

"man is born free but everywhere he is in chains"
    J-J Rousseau
  • Mr_Skint_2
    Mr_Skint_2 Posts: 5,183 Forumite
    Options
    Mind you I have no trouble with some of my Titles......love0055.gif
  • Darksun
    Darksun Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    Options
    The Simpsons box sets are bad - apart from the unskipable (but fastfowardable) ads at the beginning of the DVD, you also get 30 seconds of unskipable and unfastforwardable copyright warnings before EVERY episode
  • Amba_Gambla
    Amba_Gambla Posts: 12,107 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Mr_Skint wrote:
    love0055.gif

:eek:

what an awesome smiley!!!
  • gizmoleeds
    gizmoleeds Posts: 2,232 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    :eek:

what an awesome smiley!!!
    And he's put it in his own photobucket folder so we don't know where he got it from :confused: :eek: :rotfl:

ARarmyHL.gif<- And how's that for an awesome smiley?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport