PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buying another property?

Hello everybody

This is my first post so please be gentle! I wonder if all the experts out there can offer some advice.

We own a property worth about £180-190k. It has a mortgage of about 70k left ( with NR on their SVR – currently tied in). We have seen a place that we are interested in for £230K. We want to buy this place without selling our current place. Is this realistic?

The idea is to put our current place on rent, we should get around £750 per month – this would cover our mortgage (around £530 per month – this should go down when we remortage as soon as we are allowed to ) and take out a new mortgage for the new place.

We would like to keep our current place as a kind of investment for our children, to pay for their education.

We have around 30-32K in savings and I earn about 38K per year. My wife does not work.

Can I do a self-certification mortgage? What do others think? Is this a crazy idea?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• I think your idea is a "goer".
    ...............................I have put my clock back....... Kcolc ym
  • Does anyone know if i can get this kind of mortage?
    It will be over 5 times by salary!

Thanks
  • herbiesjp
    herbiesjp Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    Do you have any other income sources that you can take into account?
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • No I don't!
    Can i not use the extra income i could potentially get from renting out the other property?
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hello everybody

We would like to keep our current place as a kind of investment for our children, to pay for their education.

We have around 30-32K in savings and I earn about 38K per year. My wife does not work.

Is this a crazy idea?

Yes, it's nutty! Sorry to be rude, but you are taking an enormous risk. You are more than doubling your exposure to the property market at the height of the boom.

You seem to be confusing whether it is possible to do this with whether it is a good idea.

Affordability: You will need a new (extra) mortgage of £180k. If the payments are anything like your present £70k mortgage, you are going to be paying £1300 a month. Can you afford that? (Actually, that sounds a bit high - I would have thought more like £1k per month.)

Profit on existing house: Rent £750 per month against a mortgage of £530. Sounds like £200 per month profit to put towards the mortgage on the new place. But what about the agents' fees for finding the tenants? That's 12% including VAT. So there's £90 of your profit gone.

According to the Association of Residential Letting Agents, voids are nearly 2 months per year on average. So, that's the rest of your profit gone. That's before the tenants trash the place, don't pay the rent and have to be evicted, you need to do repairs, etc etc

Capital appreciation on the new place? Who knows? But more likely to go down than up IMHO.

Moving house because you want more space and can afford to do so is one thing. Keeping the old house on as an investment strikes me as very risky indeed.

Geoff
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure