Halifax online access

Options
I used to be able to access my halifax accounts online, but for some reason, I am now unable to gain access. When I try to sign in, I get a message saying that I do not have the right level of encryption. Apparently I need a 128 bit encryption. What does this mean and how can I set my PC to this level. I appreciate any help but as I am not very techie minded, I need simple step by step explanation.

Many thanks to anyone who can help.
Before doing something... do nothing

Comments

• irnbru_2
    irnbru_2 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Options
    Which OS and browser version are you using?

Have you recently upgraded it?
  • paxy
    paxy Posts: 39 Forumite
    Options
    It could be that if you have not upgraded your browser for a while then that may be the problem. Try and upgrade your browser software if you are able to.
  • Donnie
    Donnie Posts: 9,862 Forumite
    Options
    Go here; http://www.opera.com/download/ Click download and follow the instructions to install.

Once installed, you can use that browser to sign into Halifax Online and other secure sites.
  • Coldfinger
    Options
    Opera and Mozilla are great browsers but some banking websites will, by design, only work with Internet Explorer (insert swear words here....)
  • MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Egg for one. Grr!
  • Donnie
    Donnie Posts: 9,862 Forumite
    Options
    Halifax works fine with Opera. Also has added security to ensure that you're not a victim of 'phishing'.
  • lindabea
    lindabea Posts: 1,477 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies. I use Internet Explorer for my browser - I don't think it's the latest version. Maybe I'll upgrade and see if that makes a difference. For now, I go into the branch and use their PC whenever I need to do a transfer. Al least I'm getting round the problem - not necessarily resolving it.
    Before doing something... do nothing
  • odowdchr
    odowdchr Posts: 800 Forumite
    Options
    lindabea wrote:
    Thank you all for your replies. I use Internet Explorer for my browser - I don't think it's the latest version. Maybe I'll upgrade and see if that makes a difference. For now, I go into the branch and use their PC whenever I need to do a transfer. Al least I'm getting round the problem - not necessarily resolving it.

If it used to work and now it doesn't, then it may be a fault with the encryption side of the browser and not because it's a bit dated. 128bit has been around for a few years now.

To verify that your computer is using 128-bit encryption, follow these steps:

1. Start Internet Explorer.
    2. On the Help menu, click About Internet Explorer.
    3. The level of encryption on your computer appears next to the words Cipher Strength. Verify that the Cipher Strength value appears as 128-bit.
    4. Click OK.

If it only says 40bit you should upgrade if you want to use banking sites. If it says 128bit but still won't let you into your bank account...go here and test your browser's encryption (it will just do a dummy run of entering a secure site and then give you results and advice)

http://www.verisign.com/advisor/check.html

It might be an idea to upgrade an old IE anyway, or try an alternative browser like the suggestions above.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure