🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Going back to work from JSA

Options
I've been on Job Seekers Allowance for about a month and a half now, and I've had a job offer. Hopefully I'll be starting next week. I'm due to sign on this Thursday. When should I tell them I've got job, on the day I start work? Also will I still be able to claim until my first pay date as I won't have any money until then...?

Thanks everyone!

Comments

• zappster1966
    Options
    Assuming you're working 16 hours per week or more the JobCentre will pay you up to the day before you start work. They can take the change in advance, once you get your start date call your local benefit delivery centre & advise them that you're going back to work. I don't know if you were on a different benefit before going onto JSA, but ask them if you qualify for a job grant or extension to your housing benefit/council tax benefit/mortgage payments (no harm in asking). Ask them whether you might qualify for working tax credit too.

You can get a crisis loan to tide you over until you receve your first wages. When you start work ask your new employer when your wages will be paid, try to make your ££ last as long as you can and then apply for a crisis loan. In JC+ terminology your crisis loan application is called an "alignment to wages" & they should offer you some ££ to keep you going.

Good luck in your new job !!
  • jumpycheese1
    jumpycheese1 Posts: 4,300 Forumite
    Options
    Lucky you! I am still jobless :(

Find out when the start date is and when you sign on later this week, fill in Parts 1 and 5 on your JSA booklet. You can claim up to the day before you start work. So, if you start work Mon 1st September, you can claim up to 31/8.
    "The reason we're successful, darling? My overall charisma, of course." -- Freddie Mercury

Friends are kisses blown to us by angels - Anon.
  • robot103_2
    Options
    Thanks for your help! I don't actually know when I start so I'll keep quiet until i find out.

jumpycheese good luck with your search, it's taken me ages to get this one!!
  • lighton
    lighton Posts: 135 Forumite
    Options
    robot103 wrote: »
    Thanks for your help! I don't actually know when I start so I'll keep quiet until i find out.

jumpycheese good luck with your search, it's taken me ages to get this one!!

My partner started his new job on the monday and i took his completed jsa book down to job centre on the thur his normal signing day .Filled it in to say he started work on the monday that week. All was fine got his last jsa plus tax rebate the following friday. Hope thats of help to you. On the day you start work fill it out and either get someone to take it in or they told us we could post it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport