Are you worth more than you earn? Poll results/discussion

Poll between 26 August - 2 September 2008:

Are you worth more than you earn?

How does your income compare to your wealth? Are you asset rich and cash poor? Do you earn a lot but own nothing? Or are you just badly in debt?

How to work it out:
  • Wealth: Add all assets (savings, shares, home) and subtract debts (mortgage, loans, credit cards). If your debts are bigger than your assets you have negative wealth (and are overall in debt)
  • Income: Total all the amount you earn in a typical year from salary, interest, pension.
Which of these categories do you fit in?

A. IN DEBT: You owe 21 times or more your earnings. 2% (158 votes)
B. You owe 16 to 20 times your earnings 0% (32 votes)
C. You owe 11 to 15 times your earnings 1% (58 votes)
D. You owe 6 to 10 times your earnings 3% (242 votes)
E. You owe 2.5 to 5 times your earnings 9% (677 votes)
F. You owe 1 to 2.4 times your earnings 9% (653 votes)
G. You owe less a year’s earnings 17% (1268 votes)
H. IN CREDIT: You’re worth less than a year’s earnings 13% (957 votes)
I. You’re worth 1 to 2.4 times your earnings 13% (957 votes)
J. You’re worth 2.5 to 5 times your earnings 14% (1092 votes)
K. You’re worth 6 to 10 times your earnings 9% (706 votes)
L. You’re worth 11 to 15 times your earnings 3% (235 votes)
M. You’re worth 16 to 20 times your earnings 2% (160 votes)
N. You’re worth 21 times or more than your earnings 5% (358 votes)

Voting has now closed, but you can still click 'post reply' to discuss below. :)

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Replies

• Looking at the big picture makes my situation appear quite rosy,asset rich but cash poor.I clicked K but that still doesnt help me pay the bills month to month,did chear me though to see I am actually not in too bad a situation overall.
    "Reaching out to touch the stars dont forget the flowers at your feet".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    Holiday Haggler
    Oops, i clicked the wrong one.. forgot that my house was an asset worth more than the mortgage!
  • h- i don't have any debt any more (well about £100 on my overdraft) but thats it and i have a car (paid for) and odds and ends of stuff (paid for)
    things arent the way they were before, you wouldnt even recognise me anymore- not that you knew me back then ;)
    BH is my best mate too, its ok :)

I trust BH even if he's from Manchester.. ;)

all your base are belong to us :eek:
  • Coveredinbees!!!!Coveredinbees!!!! Forumite
    3.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I can't calculate any of this as it's not all mine. My wife owns half of everything.
    Nothing to see here, move along.
  • Well....thats ceridwen dropping dead of shock - as I clicked M and that apparently makes me in the top 5% of the population - on my low salary (little more than National Minimum Wage). Add the fact that I have the higher expenses of a single person AND the higher expenses of living in a dear part of the country - and I am thinking "looks like I can polish the financial halo". Crikey - I knew I am good with money (and have learnt a lot from M.S.E. to help with this - thanks Martin :money: ) - but its nice to know that I have proof positive that I'm obviously a b.....y good money manager.

Okay....employers....form an orderly queue right here....I'm available as your personal Financial Planner - for double the salary I earn at present:D - and a Christmas Bonus wouldnt go amiss either;). A gal's gotta value herself you know....God knows employers never have....
  • DorrieDorrie Forumite
    66 Posts
    I ticked N because I, personally, only earn around £50 per week. I have two jobs (plus being a wife and mother!!) but one is voluntary, so I don't get any pay for that. We have no debts (mortgage around £18000), everything is owned outright.
  • Well hubby and me together as a household are in I. We own both cars outright and are paying off the mortgage as quickly as possible. I'm "stoozing" a large sum in my offest mortgage account to make a profit, does anyone have any tips for extending my stoozing? as I only have one credit card with such a high limit!
    cheers
    :p
    Striving down south to stay northern and tight! :rotfl:
  • sparrersparrer Forumite
    7.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I clicked L but in fact my value is off the scale ..well it is according to my DGS who I took to the Motor Show a couple of weeks ago, anyway:rotfl:

I'm on a pension but my total worth on paper is now well into the L bracket for the first time in my life. The feeling of relief and security was well worth the wait. I don't own my house but I don't owe anyone anything now and have just recently made some very small but sound investments - thank you MSE :A
  • sdooleysdooley Forumite
    918 Posts
    Unless you've just lost your job I don't see how A-C are possible. No-one would lend to someone with that much debt surely? (not counting mortgages which will have a matching asset). M-N will be mostly pensioners I suspect.
  • geri1965_2geri1965_2 Forumite
    8.7K Posts
    I can't work it out accuratelt as I have no idea of the value of my pension, endowment policy and death in service benefit (if that counts).

If I do a very rough guess using value of house + savings minus mortgage (no other debts) then I fall into J.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Fans demand refunds from Leeds Festival

...after Rage Against The Machine pulls out

MSE News

The 'Ask An Expert' event

Check out last week's energy-themed Q&A with MSE's experts

MSE Forum

Free museums & galleries

Where to get your culture fix across the UK

MSE Deals