wireless network with aol broadband modem.

Options
hi
i would like to setup a wireless network. i have aol broadband using the adsl modem they supply.
can i set up a netowrk using a normal wireless router or do i need a different modem/router?
is this a simple thing to set up, i.e. install the router and plug in a usb network adaptor or is it more complicated than this?

thanks

Comments

• Mattjimf
    Mattjimf Posts: 556 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    see here for details.
    Sometimes i surprise myself by being right.
  • Ember999
    Ember999 Posts: 1,022 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    yaacov81 wrote:
    hi
    i would like to setup a wireless network. i have aol broadband using the adsl modem they supply.
    can i set up a netowrk using a normal wireless router or do i need a different modem/router?
    is this a simple thing to set up, i.e. install the router and plug in a usb network adaptor or is it more complicated than this?

thanks

I have AOL broadband on wireless router now. It is a pain to set up! You have to buy only certain models for it to work with AOL and if you look under keyword 'Broadband' on AOL you can get a list of the models that you can choose from. Setting up my laptop to work took an AOL engineer almost an hour! the settings are a nightmare and even though I am quite intelligent I couldn't do it. However, the engineer managed it and I now have my desktop running on broadband and my laptop running broadband from a wireless card.
    The router I got was Netgear and the set-up cost just over £100 for the wireless router for the desktop and the card for laptop.

Ember xx
    ~What you send out comes back to thee thricefold!~
    ~
  • Mattjimf
    Mattjimf Posts: 556 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You really only need to get the aol reconmended routers if you want them to help you out, I personally am not using a reconmended router and it's running fine for me, easy as pie to set up. I use the D-Link DSL-G604T all i had to do was connect to the router via a network cable, enter my aol screen name and password and everything else happened automatically. The only real problem you may suffer is with your firewall, but once you know how that's easy to fix as well.
    Sometimes i surprise myself by being right.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure