How does debt/money saving impact on your life?

Comments

• Thanks to everyone for responding.... isn't it amazing how we are all saying such similar things!!

Today I feel like the best thing about having my lbm is that I now have a plan!!! I have never, ever, planned anything in my entire life.

I think I kinda love you all.....;)

(well I am a huggie)
    The good you do comes back to you.
    DFW Long haul supporters No: 134
    ;)
  • Where there's a will there's a debt free day.
  • JWF
    JWF Posts: 363 Forumite
    Positives

Reduced stress due to coming clean with the OH
    Appreciation (most of the time anyway) of what I am and am not able to do with my money
    No longer so impulsive in what I spend money on (and try very hard to use cash!!)
    Increased awareness of whats going on makes me realise how crafty some of the banks/CC companies really are (sometimes this allows us to make a better decision)

Negatives

Lack of money does cause stress between me and the OH
    Not able to do all the things we used to (but hadn't probably been able to afford anyway!!)
    Increased awareness of whats going on makes me realise how crafty some of the banks/CC companies really are (sometimes I see them doing things which means it will be more difficult for us to reach our DFD)
    All I seem to hear is blah blah blah!
  • You all seem so on top of all this, by that I mean you have a handle on your debts and have goals. I just seem to flounder around getting deeper and deeper into the gloom. I know the budget planner must be the first step, but when you absolutely totally know that your outgoings are more than your earnings do you need to see it there in black and white. I know I know it has to be done to start the process. How do you all save money to reduce your debts. I see all these targets and comments at the bottom of your mailings but please how do I get started???? :confused:

I dont really feel like there are any positives at the moment, even the odd meal out with friends can be ruined by me worrying how much its going to cost, but with my social life at an all time low, if I stop doing that then I'm going to be more depressed than I am already. too many negatives to list, but I take hope from all your postings that there is light at the end of the tunnel if I could only get on track.

Helpful advice more than welcome - thanks in advance. x
  • Jacks_xxx
    Jacks_xxx Posts: 3,874 Forumite
    I know the budget planner must be the first step, but when you absolutely totally know that your outgoings are more than your earnings do you need to see it there in black and white. I know I know it has to be done to start the process. How do you all save money to reduce your debts. I see all these targets and comments at the bottom of your mailings but please how do I get started???? :confused:

x

:wave: Hiya sweetie,

Posting your SOA on here is a good start honey. Once we know some particulars we can all make suggestions for how to proceed from there.

Seeing it all in black and white is quite an important step I think. It crystallizes your thinking and motivates you to do something about it.

When you take your fingers out of your ears and stop yelling "LALALALALALALALALALA" cos you don't want to hear about your finances things can start to get better.

It's a bit like being ill and going for tests - You need to be brave and find out exactly what's wrong, so you can go on to find out how to treat it.

I'll look out for your SOA honey,

Love Jacks xxx :D
    Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted. Einstein
  • Dotdot
    Dotdot Posts: 12 Forumite
    Tough being 66 and still in debt, though down to £6700 now from over £10,000 5 years ago, and will be cleared by time I'm 70. History is that divorced and putting my daughter through college, I had no idea till her final week that I could have claimed working families tax credit. Was then told it can never be back-dated. CAB were brilliant when everything piled up. Qualified though not highly paid, she now has a great job she loves, the end is in sight for me, and I'm using my free bus pass with great delight. I buy Supermarket value brands always, a £2 something bottle of red every month, pray and aim to enjoy all the freely available blessings of life. You'd be surprised how many of your friends are in deep debt, best to let them know when you can't afford treats or trips. All the best to you.
  • Hello Jacks thank you very much for response, you see I dont even understand the lingo! What is SOA? I know before I ask its going to be something really obvious. Another week goes by and no nearer having done anything about starting to make some headway in getting control of my finances. I relate it to diet I start on monday that by Friday has been forgotten!

Probably its not as bad as some debt free wannabees but its enough to give me sleepless nights, and I'd prefer to be looking for my next holiday instead of my next 0% interest credit card.

Will make an extra effort to get myself organised this weekend.

Thanks again

X
  • Jacks_xxx
    Jacks_xxx Posts: 3,874 Forumite
    :wave: Hi again honey,

A Statement Of Affairs is basically the full picture of your incomings and outgoings. there's a link here that many of us have used to help us do it:

http://www.makesenseofcards.com/soacalc.html

I look out for yours once you get it together sweetie . ;):D

Love Jacks xxx :D
    Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted. Einstein
  • Jacks_xxx wrote: »
    It's a bit like being ill and going for tests - You need to be brave and find out exactly what's wrong, so you can go on to find out how to treat it.

Excellent analogy - thanks!!
  • Hi All

Just came across this site looks promising. :grin:
    Jacks_xxx wrote: »

Could not quite face doing that bit though :o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts