Is it hard to go back onto benefits?

Options
Im currently working 16 hours a week im a single parent with a 7 year old. Ive been working for 2 years. Ive just sat down and done all my calculations and after taking childcare costs(i get 80%), petrol, dinner moneys, rent, council tax, into account and even though I get Maintaince from my ex im £90 a month better off working which is £22.50 a week. The problem is the stress of working just isnt worth it. I work 20 miles away (I live rural) Childcare is a nightmare somtimes I have to take my son to family and freinds when Holiday clubs close due to lack of numbers and dump him for a few days as its 2 hours away. When I leave him at school in the morning I have to leave him in the playground so I can get to work on time. I only just get to school in the evening, Hes always the last child out of school.
There isnt any local childcare so I have to take him 20 miles out of the way. The whole situation is stressfull for both of us. I have to rely on my car to get to work and not break down, pray my son dosent get ill, all for £22.50 a week. Im thinking of going on benefits and going to college so I can get some qualifications to better myself and get a better job. But Ive heard that if your child is over 6 you cant claim benefits without a good reason...Is this true?
By the way im not a slacker Ive always worked since leaving school, but being a single parent working on a minimum wage is driving me insane and I have to think of our quality of lives before being labeled a scrounger.
Do I have to have a very good reason for giving up my job, will I be penalised for doing so?
Thanks in advance if you do apply

Comments

• jacnorm
    jacnorm Posts: 410 Forumite
    Options
    I dont know if tis is always the case but, I know of two people who were in the same situation as yourself recently and neither of them had any problems as they explained just how difficult it was with the childcare side of things and that was it all sorted. At the end of the day your childs welfare is the most important thing and it does no good if you are worried and stressed all the time. I would also let them know you are trying to do something for your future.
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    If you have a child under the age of 16 (soon to be 12) you won't have any problem doing this. You need to be aware that the new college term will start in a couple of weeks so it might be worth getting some help over the best path to take regarding returning to study. Either Nextstep of Learndirect can help you with this and their services are free. You can also discuss your plans with your lone parent adviser who will be able to give you more information on what benefits you can claim.
  • jaztab
    jaztab Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Im currently working 16 hours a week im a single parent with a 7 year old. Ive been working for 2 years. Ive just sat down and done all my calculations and after taking childcare costs(i get 80%), petrol, dinner moneys, rent, council tax, into account and even though I get Maintaince from my ex im £90 a month better off working which is £22.50 a week. The problem is the stress of working just isnt worth it. I work 20 miles away (I live rural) Childcare is a nightmare somtimes I have to take my son to family and freinds when Holiday clubs close due to lack of numbers and dump him for a few days as its 2 hours away. When I leave him at school in the morning I have to leave him in the playground so I can get to work on time. I only just get to school in the evening, Hes always the last child out of school.
    There isnt any local childcare so I have to take him 20 miles out of the way. The whole situation is stressfull for both of us. I have to rely on my car to get to work and not break down, pray my son dosent get ill, all for £22.50 a week. Im thinking of going on benefits and going to college so I can get some qualifications to better myself and get a better job. But Ive heard that if your child is over 6 you cant claim benefits without a good reason...Is this true?
    By the way im not a slacker Ive always worked since leaving school, but being a single parent working on a minimum wage is driving me insane and I have to think of our quality of lives before being labeled a scrounger.
    Do I have to have a very good reason for giving up my job, will I be penalised for doing so?
    Thanks in advance if you do apply

hi im in a very similar situation and are due to resign from my job 2moro. just wondering if u gave up work after and how everything went?
  • alison999
    alison999 Posts: 1,769 Forumite
    Options
    while i know its really hard - imagine how much harder itd be if you worked full time. could you move? or could a relative stay over at yours one night a week so you could go to college after work?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure