Unwanted Phonecalls Driving Me Mad

Options
This week I have received at least 30 unwanted phonecalls from International telephone numbers trying to get me to have a new mobile phone, a loan, insurance and you name it. I am a member of the Telephone Preference Service. When I joined it stopped for a couple of weeks and then started again with a vengeance (?sp). I have tried telling each one that I am a member of the TPS but they seem to be coming from all kinds of places. I have tried saying "Hold on please" when I answer the phone and leaving it on the sideboard so that they waste their money in phoning me. I have tried telling them I'm not interested too. What else can I do? Can BT help?
2008 Comping Challenge
Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
Debt free since Oct 2004

Comments

• alecpr
    alecpr Posts: 109 Forumite
    Options
    Get the anonymous caller reject service, cuts unwanted calls by about 99% in my opinion. Most calls you do get will give away their number via caller id and so can be reported as nuisance calls to BT.
  • black-saturn
    black-saturn Posts: 13,937 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thankyou, I will try that.
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,167 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Be careful with anonymous caller reject as it also blocks legitimate calls, where call centres and other organisations are calling you back because you requested it.

My son was sick at my parents and I had to call NHS Direct for advice. They couldn't ring me back as my parents had anonymous caller reject on.

I've asked the TPS advice on International calls as I went through a spate of getting the "you have won a holiday" recorded message ones when I was in bed asleep! TPS can't control overseas calls, and there is nothing BT can do either apparantly.
    Here I go again on my own....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport