Tefal Avanti Toaster - Rusted!

Options
I had a house warming gift from my brother and he got me this

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4223508.htm

It was the same price last year aswell, i think he bought it in July 04.

In the last few weeks the top of the chrome has started to rust, and on the side, the top is very bad.

So i phoned Consumer Relations at Tefal and spoke to e very unhelpful person, and told me there was nothing they can do as i did'nt have proof of purchase. They then told me i could have a reduced one at £30, or get a lab result but that also would cost me £15.

What would Agros do about this, as he ordered it via Home delivery but does not have the receipt anymore.

Was not impressed with Tefal's attitude and told me if you want to speak to trading standards you can.

They took serial numbers which said the product was made 2003 at week 50 (approx 15th Dec 03)

Does anyone else have any ideas what to do next.?

Comments

• Mumstheword
    Mumstheword Posts: 3,760 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi herbal,
    I would try again, but in writing. It's much more difficult to be stroppy and 'couldn't care less' in writing a reply to you than on the phone.
    I wouldn't mention that you have no receipt, just that it was bought about a year ago. I would keep the first letter very polite, along the lines of 'I'm sure your product was designed to last longer than a year, and you will be surprised to learn that it is rusting'
    You can always get firmer or nasty later, but you can't go back to being nice if you start off mean!!

I dont think I'd mention your phone call. If you get a better response in writing, you can always write again to thank them and point out their staffing problem!

I had some pans from Viners. The copper bottom was starting to come away on some of them. We wrote to them, and told them that they were about 3 years old. I didn't receive a reply......just a new set of pans in the post!! Very pleased!

Mumxx
    *** Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly ***

If I don't reply to you, I haven't looked back at the thread.....PM me :)
  • herbal
    herbal Posts: 348 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Mum

I will get on the letter, maybe include some pictures they did have a refrence number for me but i won't include that.

Will let you know how i get on.

Edit:

One thing that is always in my mind that it may be down to me, i dont use many cleaning chemicals and normally clean most of the kitchen with hot soapy water, and some dettox. We hae other stainless steal items and chrome and none of them have started to rust.
  • Mumstheword
    Mumstheword Posts: 3,760 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well don't mention that it may be your fault !!
    Items used for foor preparation should be able to withstand a wiping down with soapy water or dettox for hygeine sake! Keep it simple, you've had the product a year, it's rusty, you are disappointed, and leave it at that for now to see if they come up with a suggestion.

Yes, let us know how you get on,
    Mumxx
    *** Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly ***

If I don't reply to you, I haven't looked back at the thread.....PM me :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure