»

Martin, The Beauty Book & The Toilet

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

Martin, The Beauty Book & The Toilet

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Shop but don't drop
17 replies 10.7K views
MSE_MartinMSE_Martin Money Saving ExpertMoneySaving Expert
8.3K posts
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Shop but don't drop
Why a book Review

I don't often write book reviews.  However I decided to do one having picked up a rather interesting book while at a friends house and popping to use her loo.

What's the Book?

The book is called 'Beauty Scoops' and it's by Julia Carling and Kate Shapland.  It's a review book of most different types of cosmetic treatments and prejoratively recommends the best and the worst.

Why am I writing about it?

So why am i bothering to write a post about it.  It's simple really, i often browse at review works, especially consumer reviews by other journalists and see subjective opiniated tripes, offering no real guidance.

Yet this book, even though it is about beauty, used some strong methodology getting lots of women to systematically test a huge range of products.  It didnt' fall for the 'retail hypnosis' which says expensive products and brand names are best.

I scanned through it and the truth is I don't know that many of the products, but I do know good, well-researched  methodology, and i wanted to applaud it and recommend it.

So for those interested in it, it's a good buy. It's also not a bad present (especially if it encourages value driven cosmetic purchases  ;) )

Martin

Links

The Amazon Listing (for customer reviews)

Price Comparison Result for cheapest

PS.  Just in case any one is wondering, no I've never met either of the authors and don't know them.  It was purely a happen stance find in a toilet!
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

Replies