keeping parrots (merged)

in Pets & Pet Care
90 replies 3.7K views
Andybez38Andybez38 Forumite
1.8K Posts
Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
✭✭✭
I have had a parrot for some time now, and with it being hand reared from the egg he thinks he's one of us. Do you think its cruel to keep a bird :rolleyes:
I came into this world with nothing and I'm gonna leave with nothing.

Replies

• mikemoatemikemoate Forumite
    414 Posts
    Quite honestly yes, but then again it is accepted and I wouldn't condemn any body for doing it.

Can't wait to see Nelly's reply.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • Tojo_RalphTojo_Ralph Forumite
    8.4K Posts
    Andybez38 wrote:
    I have had a parrot for some time now, and with it being hand reared from the egg he thinks he's one of us. Do you think its cruel to keep a bird :rolleyes:

Having this week been lucky enough to watch an Osprey work it's way down river looking for a feed, more than ever I fail to understand why people feel the need to cage birds?

:confused:

PS. A bloke never really realises the cost of keeping a bird until he's got rid of her! ;)
    The MSE Dictionary
    Loophole - A word used to entice people to read clearly written Terms and Conditions.
    Rip Off - Clearly written Terms and Conditions.
    Terms and Conditions - Otherwise known as a loophole or a rip off.
  • Andybez38Andybez38 Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Tojo_Ralph wrote:
    Having this week been lucky enough to watch an Osprey work it's way down river looking for a feed, more than ever I fail to understand why people feel the need to cage birds?

:confused:
    All well and good. But my parrot does not have to look further than the end of his beak for a meal. He comes out of the cage reguarly and with it being hand read not a wild bird, then captured. Surely this is not cruel.
  • MurtleMurtle Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    A bird has wings to fly, can your parrot fly?
    Kind of like you have a voice, but not being allowed to use it.

It restricts freedom. I don't understand why someone would want to restrict anothers abilities.

I think it is cruel to keep birds caged, but more then that is the illegal side it generates causing misery to many birds each year as they are stolen from rain forests and shipped abroad.
    8.4K Posts
    Andybez38 wrote:
    All well and good. But my parrot does not have to look further than the end of his beak for a meal. He comes out of the cage reguarly and with it being hand read not a wild bird, then captured. Surely this is not cruel.

One assumes that you yourself were in fact hand rearer rather than captured?
    What if you had been prevented from going beyond your front door?
    What if you had been kept within the four walls that is your home?
    What if you had been given three square meals a day?
    What if you had been deprived of human company?
    Would you know any different?
    Would it have been cruel?

And last but not least, where exactly do you think hand reared birds come from?
    The MSE Dictionary
    Loophole - A word used to entice people to read clearly written Terms and Conditions.
  • Andybez38Andybez38 Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    And last but not least, where exactly do you think hand reared birds come from?[/QUOTE]

We all know hand reared birds come from eggs in incubators. :D
  • tankgirl1tankgirl1 Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    hmmm... IMHO it depends on the bird, and the conditions it is kept in. also a hand reared/captive bird would probably last all of 2 minutes if released.
    One assumes that you yourself were in fact hand rearer rather than captured?
    What if you had been prevented from going beyond your front door?
    What if you had been kept within the four walls that is your home?
    What if you had been given three square meals a day?
    What if you had been deprived of human company?
    Would you know any different?
    Would it have been cruel?

so is it cruel to keep indoor cats?? or mice in cages?? or fish in a bowl?? :confused:
    I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

RIP POOCH 5/09/94 - 17/09/07
    8.4K Posts
    tankgirl1 wrote:
    hmmm... IMHO it depends on the bird, and the conditions it is kept in. also a hand reared/captive bird would probably last all of 2 minutes if released.

so is it cruel to keep indoor cats?? or mice in cages?? or fish in a bowl?? :confused:

IMHO it is indeed cruel to domesticate wild animals for the amusement of humans... Man may well be atop the food chain, but that's no reason to abuse his position. ;)

As for a hand reared bird not native to these shores or its climate not lasting two minutes in the wild if released, that is of course a given. :)
    The MSE Dictionary
  • WigWig Forumite
    14.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw a programme, of a woman who had a parrot which came out its cage and it shat everywhere, hardly hygenic is it.

Birds kept in indoor cages defo cruel
    Birds in outdoor large aviarys still cruel but at least they can fly
    Birds trained to fly and come back again outside in the park wherever not cruel - why can't you do this with a parrot?

Mice in small cages defo cruel, large cages not so cruel
    Cats indoors slightly cruel
    Fish in small bowl or small aquarium defo cruel

International bird trade cruel so by default all live imports should be boycotted same goes for fish trade.

Logically I should boycott all garden centres that sell pets, Lets just say I don't frequent them, and prefer to get my plants from a local nursery which is cheaper anyway.

Thus ends the pet world according to Wig.
    8.4K Posts
    Andybez38 wrote:
    We all know hand reared birds come from eggs in incubators. :D

And the other 7 questions? :)
    The MSE Dictionary
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides