Java

Options
I have Java downloaded on my machine, but for some reason I cannot use it.

When I try https://www.Pogo.com to have a little play (yes, sad I know!) it comes up with Java not installed or not working properly. Where am I going wrong?

Comments

• 2ax
    2ax Posts: 645 Forumite
    Options
    Is it Sun Java?

Microsoft and Sun were in dispute about a Microsoft version of Java for some time. I lost track of it all, but I think versions of XP SP 1 came out with Microsoft and Sun versions. With XP 2 I believe there is no Java at all, and I'm wondering (could be wrong) if you have an old version that is somehow disabled.

In any case, the Sun version is better as they invented it.

http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

If your version is up to date, then I can't help.
  • Loobeylou
    Loobeylou Posts: 901 Forumite
    Options
    As far as I know I have recently downloaded the Sun Java - it certainly has the same "teacup" type logo.

When I go into control panel/advanced/applet tag support, it is ticked for Windows rather than Mozilla/Netscape.

I have a brand spanking system with Windows XP 2, although I did download Mozilla Thunderbird for my e-mail. However, for various reasons I am not happy with Thunderbird and have gone back to IE.
  • Chippy_Minton
    Options
    Test your Java Virtual Machine (JVM) and if it isn't working scroll to the bottom and follow the configuration check list.
  • Loobeylou
    Loobeylou Posts: 901 Forumite
    Options
    It says "congratulations, the latest version is installed on your system" but that does not change the fact that it does not seem to work.
  • Loobeylou
    Options
    Any ideas anyone?
  • Chippy_Minton
    Options
    On the Pogo site, go to Help and type in Java in the advanced search text box. Couple of answers there.
  • irnbru_2
    irnbru_2 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Options
    Loobeylou wrote:
    Any ideas anyone?

Didn't you have this problem before or was that someone else?

Which OS do you have?

Which browser are you using?

Normally I point my clients at browser check to get their browser details but it can't detect that I've got 1.5 installed :(

If you have JRE 1.5 or 5 installed remove it and download a 1.4 version.
  • Loobeylou
    Options
    Irubru - I do have the 1.5 version installed. I will give your suggestion a try when I get a mo - thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure