We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Travel Towels?

Options
Need to buy some lightweight absorbent travel towels. But has anyone tried them, are they any good?

Comments

• Mr_Warren_2
    Options
    Yes they are very effective. A friend of mine travelled to Egypt for a bike charity ride and was very complimentory of the item.
  • walks
    walks Posts: 411 Forumite
    Options
    Hi
    i took them away on a couple of hols last yr realy good i used serong on the beach to lye on and towels back at the digs t5o dry of with got extra room then for the odd dress or shoes lol
    pip
    x
    ps shop around i got my towels for 2.99 bro brought the same for 6.99 they only came in white but got a dye and did them all.!!!
    Every cloud has a silver lining:j
  • se999
    se999 Posts: 2,409 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the quick replies.

Have you any recommendations of brands/fabrics etc.? Also I think there are some specially treated ones?
  • walks
    walks Posts: 411 Forumite
    Options
    yes mine are micro fibre, i brought them in burton-on trent i will be going again on friday if you would like me to check out the name of the shop and make orf towel i wil do so,

pip
    x
    Every cloud has a silver lining:j
  • alison74
    alison74 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Options
    Outdoor / camping shops will have them.

I have 'Life Venture' ones. One huge one and a hand towel. I have had them for 4 years and they have travelled all over the world, but still look brand new. They are quick drying towels and take up no room in your luggage.

I have also doubled mine up as a sarong, a blanket, a beach towel etc, but then mine are a nice blue colour.

Best travel purchase i ever made.
  • Lucie_2
    Lucie_2 Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have a Speedo microfibre towel, which comes in it's own storage tube. It's about the size of 2 face cloths, so takes up hardly any room in my suitcase. I think it was about £15/20, but that was a few years ago. Very useful.
  • mgw99
    mgw99 Posts: 60 Forumite
    Options
    I have blue life venture ones as well and have used them for holidays as well as regularly for the gym. I would recommend that you wash them a few times before you go on holiday though as they seem to get better (softer, more absorbent) the more they are washed.
  • SallyD
    SallyD Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    Options
    I have bought microfibre bath towel size from Lidl,Aldi and they had some in Primark last Sunday in the Watford store.. They are about half the weight of a standard terry bath towel and generally come in a tube or re-usable packet. Now, my problem with them is that I find them to be less absorbant than a terry towel so I take along a weeny terry guest towel to dry myself off with and wrap myself in the microfibre one. I do not use fabric conditioner on my towels and kindly like the slight roughness of a terry towel.

You can buy small ones from sports shops that are like a chamois leather and they really do dry you, great for swimmers but they really are small, the biggest I have seen is about 18" square, so you cannot wrap it around ones bod.

You just shake the microfibre ones out and they are dry again very quickly. Definitely my best travel buy, I too have used it as a blanket,sheet,pillow whatever. They make excellent presents.
    SallyD
  • pin
    pin Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would say go for the sarong option. however does depend what part of the world you are travelling to. during my travels i have used my sarong as a towel, beach towel thing and a bed sheet.
    "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind" - Mahatma Gandhi
  • Reaper
    Reaper Posts: 7,288 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I always travel with a small travel towel plus a sarong. Both pack very small.

The travel towel works well but is too small for lying on or wraping yourself in.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport