PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Average cost of utility bills?

Options

Comments

• neverdespairgirl
    Options
    lkk88 wrote: »
    , water approx £35 - remember there are 2 water bills, the normal water and also sewerage

Depends where you live. In London, we pay it all in one. In Kent, I know my parents pay to two different companies.
    ...much enquiry having been made concerning a gentleman, who had quitted a company where Johnson was, and no information being obtained; at last Johnson observed, that 'he did not care to speak ill of any man behind his back, but he believed the gentleman was an attorney'.
  • LittleMissAspie
    Options
    Our sewage is Anglian Water and the water is Cambridge Water... but it's all on one bill. £21 the lot.

OP I think your budgeting is fine, you are budgeting for more than we spend anyway. Better to over-estimate though.
  • retepetsir
    retepetsir Posts: 1,236 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Our sewage is Anglian Water and the water is Cambridge Water... but it's all on one bill. £21 the lot.

OP I think your budgeting is fine, you are budgeting for more than we spend anyway. Better to over-estimate though.

and what do you have, 2-bedroom house/flat? It's been difficult to estimate as my parents are currently living in a 3-bedroom semi-detached Victorian house with the original windows, so the heating and other bills are rather pricey :rolleyes:

The Great Declutter Challenge - £876 :)

• LittleMissAspie
    Options
    Well we were in a large 2-bed flat but now we're in a small 1-bed house. We spend a lot more on electricity now because we have an electric shower, but on the other hand the gas is under £5 a month in the summer. We're paying £15 for that though, so we can pay the same all year.

Basically our gas and elec are the same cost after moving but the balance between them has changed.

Water is metered so that's not related to size of house.

Edit: Here you go, from my spreadsheet. The cat gets her own allowance :rotfl:
    zss2l3.jpg
  • retepetsir
    Options
    Well we were in a large 2-bed flat but now we're in a small 1-bed house. We spend a lot more on electricity now because we have an electric shower, but on the other hand the gas is under £5 a month in the summer. We're paying £15 for that though, so we can pay the same all year.

Basically our gas and elec are the same cost after moving but the balance between them has changed.

Water is metered so that's not related to size of house.

Edit: Here you go, from my spreadsheet. The cat gets her own allowance :rotfl:
    zss2l3.jpg

Cheers. Hehe at the cat, love cats but I don't think the missus is too keen (:() and it wouldn't really suit having a cat on a 2nd floor flat anyway :o .

Thanks again, I will look over my figures!

• loulou41
    loulou41 Posts: 2,871 Forumite
    Options
    Interesting to see how much you can spend on utilities. Daughter is moving into a two beds flat with her boyfriend. I have been trying to guess how much she will spend!! The flat is £900 a month and council tax £130. She has not asked about other utilities such as water etc. She is allowing £300 for utilities, which I hope will be enough, they do not have a car. She will have about £800 left after expenses and she thinks she will not be able to afford much on that as she likes going out. Can you really spend £120 on groceries for two, is that a month or a week? I am asking after paying his rent, son has £150 to spend on himself a week and he finds it hard in London, no saving at all.
  • retepetsir
    Options
    loulou41 wrote: »
    Interesting to see how much you can spend on utilities. Daughter is moving into a two beds flat with her boyfriend. I have been trying to guess how much she will spend!! The flat is £900 a month and council tax £130. She has not asked about other utilities such as water etc. She is allowing £300 for utilities, which I hope will be enough, they do not have a car. She will have about £800 left after expenses and she thinks she will not be able to afford much on that as she likes going out. Can you really spend £120 on groceries for two, is that a month or a week? I am asking after paying his rent, son has £150 to spend on himself a week and he finds it hard in London, no saving at all.

£300 for utility bills alone?! Surely thats a bit ott for a 2-bedroom flat?! :rotfl:

After expenses and having £800 left, that's rather impressive. She doesn't think she'll be able to survive on £800 a month?! She must spend a lot of money :eek: . Must have a pretty good income too for that level of spending...

and £120/week on groceries, don't be ridiculous!

• westv
    westv Posts: 6,084 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Not sure if this helps but myself and boyfriend work 9 - 5pm daily Mon - Fri and have a one bed flat and our bills are:

Elec: £16 per month (cost of bills over year divided by 12)
    Gas: £22 per month (again, split over the year, use less in summer).
    Council Tax: £120 per month
    Water rates: £36.66 per month
    TV licence: £139.50 per year
    BT Broadband and Land line: £32 per month (Option 3 deal)

Dont forget insurance too - we pay (I think) £150 ish a year just for contents.
    You can get phone bills down by doing a 1899 or 19185.com override provider to get cheap calls in the day, and Primus free calls eves and weekends - check the "Phones" advice on this website. There is also cheap broadband - check this website too.
    Hope this helps!

You pay £36.66 a month water rates for a 1 bed flat!!! :eek: :eek:
    I'm currently in a 4 bed detached house and we pay about £30 a month via a water meter.
  • Natty082
    Natty082 Posts: 201 Forumite
    Options
    retepetsir wrote: »
    Cheers. Hehe at the cat, love cats but I don't think the missus is too keen (:() and it wouldn't really suit having a cat on a 2nd floor flat anyway :o .

You might not be able to have a cat anyway! My lease states 'No pets allowed, only a bird in a cage' :p
    A blonde... cleverly disguised as a Brunette.......;)
  • retepetsir
    Options
    Yep I wouldn't be surprised! Ah well....a few years to wait yet.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport