Eastern Europe - worth the risk?

Options
Sold an item yesterday

was expecting £400-£430 got a bit more but bidder was from Poland with only 1 feedback,
( in auction I stated non UK bidders must have a 10+ , plus must contact me before a certain time ( I was going out an hour before auction end)

This chap did email me - much much later - 10 min before end

He even phoned me - he's really keen on paypal

But I'm not keen as appears no sellers protection - I've done it before to other Europe , but higher feedback/ less value items

Unfortunately 2nd best bid purchased somewhere esle in meantime

Can I just cancel ... claim fees as not meeting conditions , and accept neg if it comes
Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as (financial) advice.

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,339 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    A closed auction with a winning bid cannot be cancelled, all you can do is get your FVfs back if the buyer does not meet your criteria and that depends on what your auction terms say.

The bit about 10+ feedback isn't binding, so you need to ignore that. If you didn't offer paypal as an option then the buyer can't insist on using it but can use any other option you chose in your listing, bank cheques or postal orders or whatever. If the buyer refuses to pay by anything other than paypal and you don't accept that as an option then you can start the NPB process from day 7. However if you did tick the I accept paypal box then the buyer can refuse to pay by any other means and can file a non performing seller complaint against you.

Poland is a problem as their paypal system only works outwards and not inwards, so they can't reclaim funds from you nor can you refund them. I recently had a parcel to Poland go astray and the buyer claimed this happened all the time to her..I had no way at all of refunding her though which was a major concern.

Soo
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • payless
    payless Posts: 6,957 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    These items are popular in Germany / Italy

I ticked paypal but in ad I wrote :-
    PREFER UK BIDDERS - I might be prepared to post to Europe ( £30) or US - ( £35) but only to long standing ebayers ( expect 10+ feedback) with a traceable home and email address ( not hotmail style)- + telephone . International buyers -Bid before 10am UK time ( so I can see your history) then email me- if I'm not happy I'll just cancel your bid

Missing parcerls ... Also my international postage costs reflected Royal Mail airmail + sign+ insurance + a little to cover exchange fees.. He does not seem keen on postal service, wants/ will pay for DHL , although he thinks that £50, when its really £80 by the time you add vat, fuel supp and insurance ( and thats without me covering exchange fees- although given sale price I would forgo this

are you saying no claimback possible?
    Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as (financial) advice.
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,523 Forumite
    Options
    payless wrote:
    are you saying no claimback possible?
    I thought that bit would grab your attention. ;)

I think you are obliged to accept paypal in this instance, but going on what Soo has said, it looks as though the buyer can still file a dispute, but would not get a refund if they did. If that is correct, then they are very unlikely to make a claim unfairly as they don't stand to gain anything for it.

I would give him a proper quote for DHL and see what he comes back with.
  • payless
    Options
    If some pays me from abroad via paypal will I get full amount (less normal fees, - notice it mentions a 2.5% exchange fee - is this deducted also ?)
  • bleugh
    bleugh Posts: 1,796 Forumite
    Options
    DONT ACCEPT PAYPAL WHATEVER YOU DO

you're right to be suspicious.

unfortunatley, there's NO way of getting your item back or your money

and dont listen to the others, the CHARGEBACK thing only is true if they use a LEGIT credit card.

there's a very good chance they'll use a STOLEN card or account, and the money is withdrawn by payapl

go with your gut, £400 is a LOT of money, i don't entrust anything over £30 with paypal to UK bidders, let alone anyone from slightly dodgy eastern block conuntries
    money saving my @rse.
    I've spent 10x as much as I would if I had never discovered this website :-)
    :: No Links in signatures please - FM ::
  • payless
    Options
    just when I of thinking of agreeing to it .....
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,523 Forumite
    Options
    The thought of a credit card chargeback had completely escaped me. Yes, I think I will have to defer to bleugh's sage words on the matter. Insist on alternative payment, or take a NPS strike on the chin. £400+ is too much to lose however slight the risk.
  • Agutka
    Agutka Posts: 2,376 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As someone who is Polish I have to say I am feeling a little offended by some of the comments here. Just FYI.

The buyer sounds keen on the goods and has even phoned you, so you're dealing with a person - how did they sound? I say quote him for postal service you're happy with and wait for the money to roll in. As for being keen on PayPal I didn't think there was another way of paying people in another country without incurring horrendous fees.
    :wall:
  • bleugh
    bleugh Posts: 1,796 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry you're offended Agutka

The guy may well be honest, BUT, statistically speaking, and for the amounts involved, it isnt worth the risk of the seller, there's a fair chance he isn't :-(

he could always post cash - by recorded delivery and well wrapped and hidden in a small parcel.

OR, maybe the seller payless, could offer to pay half the bank charges, he'd have probably paid more in paypal fees anyway, so it's a good gesture of trust on both sides
    money saving my @rse.
    I've spent 10x as much as I would if I had never discovered this website :-)
    :: No Links in signatures please - FM ::
  • Agutka
    Agutka Posts: 2,376 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    But from the buyer's point of view, he would have no comback then. I personally would never pay these kind of amounts without being sure what I was paying for. Not that payless is dodgy or anything :think: ;) but if it was the buyer asking questions on here you'd be telling him to pay ONLY via PayPal and make sure it's via a credit card.

If the items are popular in Europe as the OP mentioned, then the highest bidders will be from abroad. Along with all the risks that entails...
    :wall:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport