iPOD HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Options
Just bought an iPOD photo today.

Now i have a fair collection of cd's/tracks on my media player and i new before that i would need to use i-tunes for transfering the tracks but is there a way of copying all my music from media player into i-tunes coz it could take AGES if i was to reinstall every cd again.

Thanx in advance :T

Comments

• em512
    em512 Posts: 101 Forumite
    Options
    I just transfer file in the drop down menu in itunes. Think there is quicker ways but that way works for me.
    Pigsback points - 5,775 = £57.75 Rewards i have had 9x £8.75 vouchers from cd wow
    And im trying to get enough points for the £50.00
    cd-wow voucher so i can have a spending spree
    for FREE.
  • john0612
    john0612 Posts: 412 Forumite
    Options
    i tried that but i couldn't get the media player on the selection menu :mad:
  • john0612
    john0612 Posts: 412 Forumite
    Options
    ok this is what i think i've done lol

I've copied the media player to my documents

Can now open MP but get loads of different icons which i don't understand and none of which are any of the music :mad:

AS you can see i ain't tech minded lol
  • wolfman
    wolfman Posts: 3,225 Forumite
    Options
    Ewww, iTunes, AAC... nasty.

If you have by chance encoded your music in WMA format it's probably best to start over.

Stick to the mp3 format, it's much more versatile and widely accepted in comparison to aac. Encoding variably at 192kbps, or 224kbps with the LAME encoder will give the best results. Download CDex (or Exact Audio Copy) which will rip and tag the mp3's for you using the above codec.

With regards to putting music on/off your iPod have a look around, there are alternatives to the resource hungry iTunes. EphPod is very good, and there is a plugin for Winamp.
    "Boonowa tweepi, ha, ha."
  • Mr_Skint_2
    Mr_Skint_2 Posts: 5,183 Forumite
    Options
    wolfman wrote:
    Ewww, iTunes, AAC... nasty.

If you have by chance encoded your music in WMA format it's probably best to start over.

Stick to the mp3 format, it's much more versatile and widely accepted in comparison to aac. Encoding variably at 192kbps, or 224kbps with the LAME encoder will give the best results. Download CDex (or Exact Audio Copy) which will rip and tag the mp3's for you using the above codec.

With regards to putting music on/off your iPod have a look around, there are alternatives to the resource hungry iTunes. EphPod is very good, and there is a plugin for Winamp.

Yeah Id agree with that I mean WMA = Pain in rear, and mp3 has a better compression ratio meaning more tracks will fit on the iplop. :beer:
  • wolfman
    Options
    EphPod is no harder to use than iTunes. Two buttons in the top left of the app, "Add Directory", "Add Song". You then just browse to what you want to add.

iTunes, EphPod aside, for encoding music it's better to use something else.

CDex isn't very tricky to use. It basically comes with everything preset and configured (ie to use the LAME encoder). You can quite literally install it, put a disc in and click encode. There are dozens of step by step (with pictures) tutorials too for adjusting any of the settings.

It's not restrictive in anyway, will tag all of your music, in the more widely accepted mp3 format, and using a better/more accurate encoder. It's well worth spending 15-20mins to familiarise yourself with it.
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The guy's a basic user!

I agree with the various comments about iPods....iTunes....ACC....nasty....overpriced!

The biggest mistake was buying an iPod in the first place when there are many alternative personal MP3 devices around with better battery life at sensible prices! :rotfl:

The Airport card on eBay that you gave a link to, went for £80.67 + £3.50 P&P, which is a ridiculous price to add wireless capability (only802.11b) to an old G3 imac when a card for a PC can easily be bought for £10!

I will leave Apple stuff to the cult followers!

:confused:
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Alex

Sorry, I can't afford to join the cult and I have absolutely no desire to! Whilst I accept that Apple may have come up with various good ideas, why then is it so difficult and so expensive to make a less than five year old Apple iMac G3 wireless compatible now, when this can be easily and very inexpensively done to a standard PC of twice that age! :confused:

They may have come up with the wireless idea in 1999 but they have already discarded customers who were unfortunate enough to buy an iMac's then, if they now want wireless. :p

I consider Apple to be in the same category as Sony, who also believe that consumer electronic items of five years old are only fit for the bin and effectively obsolete, due to their exorbitant repair centre costs and the planned unavailability of spare parts! :wall:

Therefore I will decline your recruitment drive offer to "come to us" as we obviously have very different opinions about manufacturers of electronic devices. Each to their own. :doh:

Apologies to john0162 for hi-jacking your plea for help thread. :)

:D
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • wolfman
    Options
    And what's wrong with AAC? It's much more efficient than MP3, and can be played on most devices, including my Sony mobile phone (which by the way is a horrible MP3 player - an advert for the iPod every time I'm foolish enough to use it).

There was no need for Apple to create a new file format. They only did to introduce copy protection and to take control of the market. It's just another format that isn't fully supported nor as accurate as what already exists. Mp3 is far more flexible and offers better results. If you want to go down the mp4 route, look at ogg.

Also, AAC is certainly not more efficient. It all depends upon what bit rate you are encoding at.
    AAC is MPEG4 so there's no real danger of being left high and dry, and default 128KHz (what I use) is roughly the same quality as 192KHz VBR MP3 in 67% of the file size.

Not at all, not even in the slighest. If you encoded an MP3 at 160kbps with LAME and compared it to an AAC track at 128kbps you'd notice the difference. AAC is generally a low end bitrate encoder, better aimed at bit rates like 128kbps for devices such as iPods, Laptop speakers etc... Anything above 160kbps and the LAME mp3 encoder is seen as the (or one of) best.

With ever expanding storage space, which is becoming cheaper too, its worth encoding your music at a decent bit rate. I encode all of my music at 256kbps nowadays. Ok, so I can't fit as much on my iPod, but I can play it through my stereo, something which 128kbps would sound horrible through. And with devices becoming more integrated (everything can be hooked up in some way these days) you should be looking to make your music collection as portable as possible.

When it comes to encoding at such rates AAC can't compete (maybe only on the mid range). Stick with mp3 it's a perfectly good format. It is all subjective, but LAME does manage to keep more of the higher and lower frequencies, and to most ears should sound better.
  • john0612
    Options
    :eek: And all i wanted to do was listen to my music lol :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business