MMD: Would you tell a charity shop that a Chloe bag was under-priced?

Options

Comments

• carter_s1469
    Options
    Gosia wrote: »
    I would definitely snap it up! That's what charity shops are for - the occasional cheap bargain - why else shop there!

Some/most People shop in Charity shops because they are for a great, needy and helpful cause.... THE WORD CHARITY IS A CLUE !! Yes its great to for a bargain and all proceeds go into the charity funds !
    I understand that most would snap up the underpriced bag... but let me tell you most staff in Charity stores are well trained and are very on the ball when it comes to designer labels of any kind... I doubt you would find a genuine Chloe bag for £5.00.
  • dianauni
    dianauni Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    All's fair in love, war and business. If I could see it was a Chloe bag then the shop should be able to as well, so no, if I wanted to buy it I would keep quiet, if I was not interested then I would tell them.
  • southernbelle
    Options
    I'd buy it and ebay it. Most stuff in charity shops is ridiculously overpriced anyway. Cheaper to buy new stuff a lot of the time. I only go there for books now.
    Total Debt: £0 [STRIKE]£33,043[/STRIKE]
    Official DFW Nerd No. 763
    :jDMP start date Aug 2011~DFD Aug 2013 :j
  • pacemaker
    pacemaker Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    Well Well!
    What a lot of different replies, I would like to set the record straight, I Do support Charity shops but ones that actually help the poorest in their neighborhood and a lot of these are disabled people who find it very hard to get work and I will support any charity that gives a person work experience to improve the chances of a real job. I applaud those people who will support charities abroad and I myself have worked hard for a small charity in Rumania doing car boots to raise money together with my friend who is brain injured and Blind, If it wasn't for Charity he would not have had implements and tools to give him a better quality of life and yes I am SERIOUS when I say we buy from Charity shops to get things like b<day presents etc for family which we would not be able to afford from a new shop and also Clothes and we have bought Furniture too. I think peoples ideas of poor or hardship are very different to people individually, but believe it or not there are Children starving in the UK What does that say about our Society today.
  • Marcus_Absent
    Options
    confused-smiley-013.gif In a way this dilemma is similar to one of Martin's "special offers" which I did take up recently. I signed on with AXA for their Life Insurance, got my Satnav after one £6 payment and then cancelled the life insurance. However, I would have bought the bag and then sold it again and donated half back to the charity. Somehow, taking advantage of a charity dosen't seem right. How's that for hypocracy!!
  • MoaningMyrtle
    Options
    love your screen name Marcus!! Welcome to MSE by the way!
    A minute at the till, a lifetime on the bill.

Nothing tastes as good as being slim feels.

one life, live it!
  • DwainDibley
    Options
    I'm one of those that wouldn't know a Chloe handbag if it hit me in the face! I have to admit though if I did I would snap it up for a fiver and give it to my wife as a present.

I have also kind of done this recently - I bought a digital camera for £58 out of a local shop that was worth £100+ on Ebay!

I do occasionally volunteer in a local charity shop too, and would echo that sentiment that volunteers can't be expected to know the value of everything, if something's priced at more than you can buy it new that imho is an honest mistake. Also any clothes that can't be sold in the shop are sold for 'rag' so that they get some money even out of clothing that can't be sold.
    Total debt as at Jul 2012: Too much!
  • Haggy_3
    Options
    I had a case where I saw a couple of first edition (not first printings though) Tolkien books for sale in a charity shop for 75p each. I knew they were worth a lot more.

So I bought them, sold them on ebay (for £400) and split the money with them.
    A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

A young loner on a crusade to champion the cause of the innocent,
    the helpless, the powerless, in a world of criminals who operate above the law.
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    Things can't be both overpriced and an honest mistake when the manageress has been told (politely, I would add) that the Primark clothes/bags/etc is toughly double the new price. She answered, It's a CHARITY shop. [EMAIL="****&#64;%"]****@%[/EMAIL]&!

The same person I have heard on the bus calling her other half to come round the back of the shop and pick up stuff that is too good for the shop, and her best friend to come and buy the first editions that have come in whilst she is in charge and not when someone else is working who would recognise her. I therefore had no qualms when I bought a Gucci 1940s original from her for £1.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • trinibago_gal
    Options
    I'd definitely snap it up at the ticketed price and give it as a gift:j reaping the obvious benefits:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure