»

The Great “Free or Subsidised by my Council” Hunt

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

The Great “Free or Subsidised by my Council” Hunt

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Shop but don't drop
54 replies 35.9K views
MSE_MartinMSE_Martin Money Saving ExpertMoneySaving Expert
8.3K posts
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Shop but don't drop
What's it about?

Whether it's council leisure centres and gyms at half the cost of private ones, free internet access in library, using your residents' permits to get access to car parks for less, or even grants for home insulation, local councils can save you cash.

It’s worth taking advantage as often it's your council tax cash being used to subsidise them.

What to do

So I wanted to tap MoneySavers for what council facilities you find it worth using and where.

Click reply to let us know.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

Replies

• CerisaCerisa Forumite
    350 posts
    Waendel Lesuire Centre in wellingborough.

Free internet in Lancaster Library
    £1600 overdraft
    £100 Christmas Fund
  • grannybikergrannybiker Forumite
    11.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gloucestershire libraries all do up to 2 hours free internet /PC use to all members on a booking system. 15 minutes on non-bookable drop-in.
    Worse things will have happened in the world today...
    "The only thing that really matters, it to love and to be loved."
  • grannybikergrannybiker Forumite
    11.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, and Forest of Dean swimming pools offer free family swim sessions through the holidays. Get pretty busy, and only available for family groups, so no sending the kids on their own!
    Worse things will have happened in the world today...
    "The only thing that really matters, it to love and to be loved."
  • Yes there are lots of things that councils supply 'free' but remember, in the long run, the council tax payer pays for many of them. The portion paid by the council tax payer varies depending on where you live.
    Most, not all,of those freebies are for pensioners,and those receiving benefits. So here goes.
    Free parking in many areas for blue badge holders Nationwide and further
    Bus passes Nationwide
    Insulation for your home Cavity wall filling, loft insulation etc. Parts of Hampshire
    back door collection of rubbish for infirm
    Slippers, Hampshire
    Safety aids for the house. eg. bath supports, railings for steps. Parts of Hampshire

For starters. I dare say that there are many more.

Mrs. M, Isitfair.
  • fat_jedifat_jedi Forumite
    167 posts
    Mrs._M wrote: »
    Yes there are lots of things that councils supply 'free' but remember, in the long run, the council tax payer pays for many of them. The portion paid by the council tax payer varies depending on where you live.
    Most, not all,of those freebies are for pensioners,and those receiving benefits.

Mrs. M, Isitfair.

That's a really good point:-

If more use the "free" services, then it could potentially increase council tax fees as they struggle to fund the new found enthusiasm for their "free" servcies!!!!

As eager moneysavers, we could be directly responsible for a higher bill :eek:

FJ
    "If you think things can't get worse it's probably only because you lack sufficient imagination."
  • oramgepekoeoramgepekoe Forumite
    572 posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭
    In Hertfordshire libraries you can borrow magazines for free.
  • Angua2Angua2 Forumite
    673 posts
    In East Lothian:

If you're on benefits/disabled, etc., you can get a referral from CAB/Social Work/Visiting Nurse et alia to ELVON Furniture Recycling for free household goods (from chairs to washing machines and more).

As I understand it, they will deliver (£5 delivery charge) the free items you need as soon as they become available. Items supplied are donated to ELVON (2nd-hand and occasionally even new!) by local residents/businesses. The project is supported by East Lothian Council & Transforming Waste Scotland.

MORE on ELVON
    Still waiting for Dyson to bring out a ride-on hoover...
    Memberships:
    Bad Alba Mothers Purchase Only Tanqueray
  • PiscesPisces Forumite
    224 posts
    Lots of councils offer cash back if you buy re-usable nappies. Although I've just discovered my local council (Warwickshire) is ending the scheme at the end of August :-(
    Go your own way..

Virtual sealed pot challenge member #103
  • If you work for the council in Manchester you get further subsidised membership options for the council run leisure centres.
  • ThinkingOfLinkingThinkingOfLinking Forumite
    11.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Liverpool City Centre library, you can get up to 3 one hour sessions a day if you're a member, or you can get up to a half hour session for free per day if you're not a member.