Certificate of Eligibility for ex-forces

Options
My husband served 12 years in the RAF. Many of the discounts on the Forces Website ask for your ID Card or Certificate of Eligibility. Who will complete one of these for you if you are no longer in contact with serving members. thanks.

Comments

• Alias_Omega
    Alias_Omega Posts: 7,912 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You could always write a letter to PMA asking them to confirm time served in the RAF, ie entry and exit dates.
  • melipona
    melipona Posts: 492 Forumite
    Options
    To be honest it isn't a very well controlled process.
    You can download the form here, then as you husband is a veteran:

Fill in his name. In the tick boxes, tick "HM Forces" box (nothing else required).
    Then sign the Certificate.
    Go to a local military unit, CIO, cadet force or whatever, explain yourself and I'm sure that they will stamp and sign the form for you.

As an aside, for anything that I have wanted to purchase, I have never found a discount in that brochure that I couldn't also have got by being a slightly canny Joe Public, and I have often bettered them. How about people coming back with companies who offer real value discounts that are over and above the norm.
  • Pete268
    Pete268 Posts: 219 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

Although it may not apply to the original poster, but if any ex HM Forces are in receipt of a War Disablement Pension or Gratuity, they can obtain, from the Service Personnel and Veterans Agency (SPVA) a free War Pensioners Status Card.

It has all your details on and the SPVA logo etc and certifies you are a War Pensioner. I have used my card a few times to obtain discounts etc.

Worth giving the SPVA a ring on 0800 169 2277. They ask you a few questions to verify your entitlement and you should get the card within about ten days.

Peter
  • stressedoutmum
    Options
    thanks to everyone above. Unfortunately not in receipt of war pension so cant use that option but thanks for suggesting. Was thinking of going to Florida next year and Virgin give a discount on flights which is why I wanted certificate. Will probably right to RAF PMA. cheers.
  • Murielson
    Murielson Posts: 268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    He should have been given paperwork on discharge giving his details so could he not use this? I have pension info that I could take as proof but I assume he cannot draw military pension until 65?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure