price guid of some things in ethnic food shops inst helens rd swansea

Options
COOLTRIKERCHICK
COOLTRIKERCHICK Posts: 10,510 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post
i know i have asked for info on these shops ages ago, but now that i have really got to penny pinch, i am looking round to compare food prices.

as i live in the swansea valley, i dont want to go all the way down there and find there is no savings to be had.

went to clydach market to try and get some cheap fruit and veg, but to be honest there wsant anything REALLY cheap, and what was there was just about to walk out of the market by itsself.

so i was wondering if anyone uses on of the shops in st helens rd, and maybe you could give me some prices.. of the fruit and veg, and other things they have for sale, so i can see if its worth me making a journey there..

before the price of fuel went up i wouldnt have thought twice about taking a trip down to have a nose, but now i cant justify the fuel cost just to go down and have a nose..

thanks...
Work to live= not live to work

Comments

• annieredhead
    Options
    I live quite near and occasionally use these shops, mostly Exotica as it's opposite my doctors! They sell semi skimmed milk for 89p (2l) peaches and oranges 4 for a pound, you can also get big boxes of things like mangos at reduced prices. But mostly I buy spices and nuts for cooking, they are much cheaper than Tescos and the variety is excellent. Next time I go I'll try and find out more prices for you :o
  • flutterbyuk25
    Options
    I'll keep an eye out for prices etc too for you next time I'm passing, but not sure when I'll be there next.

I doubt though that you'll actually save anything once you factor in the travel cost.

Maybe try growing your own fruit/veg? Obviously this will take time but will work out cheaper for the future.

x
    * Rainbow baby boy born 9th August 2016 *

* Slimming World follower (I breastfeed so get 6 hex's!) *
  • I used to live really nearby and used to do most of my shopping on St Helens Rd. Exotica is cheaper than the others (and better). I heard nasty rumours about cockroaches in one of the other shops. The 'normal' fruit and veg is quite cheap in there, but not to the extent I'd rush down. However, the exotic fruit and veg is really good value and usually really good quality. Not long ago they were also selling 24 little eggs for £1.50! They were great. Yeah, and milk is cheap in there too. I never tried the meat, and some stuff is really dear in there (like small quantities of rice). I really miss not living close by as they were nice and helpful (unlike yukky Tesco in Port Talbot). Also worth a look is the Chinese supermarket on Oxford Street. They sell some really good stuff - their noodles are brilliant and great value (about 70p a packet that would serve 6, lovely quality). The staff are really nice in there too. I reckon it's worth a trip if you like your exotic fruit and veg, or want spices.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure