A visit from a dwp outdoor officer??

Options
I am not sure if anyone can give me any info on what this is, I got a letter yesterday telling me that a outdoor officer from dwp came to my house 2 days in a row and i wasn't in and they are coming back next week to discuss my income support, i was at my parents looking after my dad as my mum was rushed into hospital, i also claim carers allowance, however on the letter there is no address it just says the office address is performance maintenance and i will need 2 forms of id when he comes again, also he left a mobile number on the letter too, i phoned and left a message to ask what its about but i guess its a work mobile, so i am no further forward. I was just wondering what this is all about, if anyone has any ideas. thanks

Comments

• healy
    healy Posts: 5,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Usually they are just routine checks to check for example someones identity or that people are on the correct benefits. Sometimes they are visits just to check things out if someone has reported you for something. If your claim is in order you have nothing to worry about.
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    Don't panic, get your paperwork in order so you can show the guy proof of your identity (driving licence, passport, bank card, bank statement, electric bill, etc, etc). Have the details of the person you claim carers' allowance for - you don't have to provide evidence of their medical condition as they have to do that for their own claim, and don't panic.

Sometimes these people turn up out of the blue for spot checks as they don't have enough work to do to look busy! It means they can establish you are who you say you are, you live at the stated address, etc, etc. The worst case scenario is that someone else is using your address to try and claim benefits, but as you will have proof of your own ID and existence, shouldn't be a problem there - just ask the guy when he turns up.

Be nice, show him what he wants - as long as he has provided you with checkable ID that you check before you let him in - and there shouldn't be any problems.

Above all, don't panic!
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • anndunc1
    Options
    i have now also received a letter saying an outdoor officer is coming to see me i am on income support and they say i need to show 2 forms of id for me and my daughter and it is to see if i am getting the right amount of income support. does anyone have any ideas what this maybe for? thanks
  • real1314
    real1314 Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    Options
    Often just a random check. To make sure you're getting the right amount of benefit.
    I believe that in some cases people are being underpaid and are then being given extra money where appropriate.
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    My son had two visits from an Officer when he was claiming Council Tax Benefit. The first time they just checked his ID and asked if he had any changes of circumstances (he hadn't); the second time they came there had just been a chge of circs the week before so he reported that.

It is purely routine afaik.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure