Nightmare with car insurance..please help!

Options
OK....so I've been through the AA for my car insurance for quite a few years but decided to switch to another company back in April to save some money.

I changed to Equity Alliance and Leicester, paid a deposit, and was left with a monthly premium of £31.10 paid by monthly direct debit

They said they didn't receive my proof of no claims in time (which I had sent off when requested) so then charged me a further £104 which they took from my bank without notification causing me to go overdrawn.

When I spoke to them about this they said they wouldn't refund me but could adjust my monthly payments to reflect this.

Two months later and my payments are still £31.10...so a few questions:

Can they take the £104 without notification?
Are they legally obliged to refund this money as a lump sum?
What should I do now?

Any help is greatly appreciated....I am a single parent and cannot afford them to take this extra £104 from me. Thanks :)
Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam

Comments

• Trojan1965
    Options
    If they have now got the proof of bonus, insist on a refund. It's not that they can't do it just that it probably costs them more than to adjust the DD.

Is Equity A&L the boker ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport