Quarter Entitlements

Options
I am just about to put my papers in for yet another move (Eighth time in 10 years!!). At the moment we are living in a 4 bed ex-officers quarter. I've got three kids, two boys 9 & 7, and a girl aged 6. I've also got another daughter who is 16 but lives with her mum. I've always put her down as living with me and got above my entitlement. Might be a bit tricky putting her down now because of her age, not that the officer who signs my papers knows me from Adam never mind my personal circumstances.

Could anybody tell me where it is written down what I am actually entitled to? Is it online (DII) as they axed the civvie clerks when they brought in JPA and it a bit awkward (about an hours drive) to my nearest admin office?

Thanks

Comments

• Cat695
    Cat695 Posts: 3,647 Forumite
    Options
    I don't think its actually written anywhere.....as if you have 4 kids you get 5 bedrooms etc

from what i can gather if you did put your older daughter down (nothing wrong with that in my eyes) you still only get a 4 bedroom as they would say the lads can share...i take it your after a 5 bed? also depends on the quarter situation where your going

i would have thought you would have been a expert by now after all those moves (i reckon you just like the disturbance alliance hehe)
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have failed to plan properly

I've only ever been wrong once! and that was when I thought I was wrong but I was right
  • martinbuckley
    Options
    If I recall correctly, they could get away with offering you a 3 bed, insisting the boys and girls share. Its only once all kids are 12 that they get their own room - so potentially another 6 yrs, by when, your eldest will be 22 and not entitled to a room!!!

My experience of DHE is not as extensive as yours, but I think they'd offer you a 4 bed when there is one available.

Why so many moves though? It cannot be good for the kids' education.
  • Sparky29
    Sparky29 Posts: 285 Forumite
    Options
    I am only after a four bed quarter. It is the rules on sharing that I am interested in. I've never seen it written down anywhere but you hear people quoting that up to a certain age kids of different sexes can share. Then when they reach another age the same sex don't have to share. I've never seen it written down though and it could be one of those urban myths that everybody believes is true but everybody quotes differnt ages. I've known people get above ther entitlement in the past by getting the doctor involved saying that one child keeps the other awake because of medical conditions or nightmares.

The reason is I've moved quarters during this time within garrisons and not been posted every time. The kids are young enough for it to have had very little effect on their education, in fact I think it has made them more confident. However, my eldest is two years from secondary school so this will be their last move because it will start to have an effect.
  • Cat695
    Options
    I would argue the fact that if you ended up with a 3 bed quarter, and you was there for a few years (unlikely but worth a try) that the boys would become of age and therefore cannot share with the girl so makes sense to have a 4 bed quarter now insted of having to move again (worth a try) as you would be saving them money etc

I've only ever been wrong once! and that was when I thought I was wrong but I was right
  • Bargainbabe_2
    Options

This comment of yours caught my attention. We have moved as regular as the poster. It's not through choice, but because of postings or career moves. My husband is in the PT Corps and our postings are only for 2-3 years each time. I agree it's not good for the kids education, but what can you do?
    "There are no pockets in a shroud..."
  • Cat695
    Options
    This comment of yours caught my attention. We have moved as regular as the poster. It's not through choice, but because of postings or career moves. My husband is in the PT Corps and our postings are only for 2-3 years each time. I agree it's not good for the kids education, but what can you do?

boarding school? not the best option as kids away etc but certainly stable for their education

and you can get payments off the MOD to help you pay for boarding school

• EmmEve
    EmmEve Posts: 260 Forumite
    Options
    I thought kids were entitled to their own bedroom after they turned 10. Before then they can be expected to share if necessary. Can't remember where i heard that though so i could be wrong! Have you conatacted your HIC to ask them exactly how the entitlement works?

Btw not everyone wants to put their kids in boarding school and not every kid wants to go to boarding school!
  • Sparky29
    Options

I 'm also in a Corps so have to move all the time. I have got my own house so when I got a posting order I got married and moved into a quarter to get the removals to move my stuff so one of the first two moves was self inflicted but childless. Not ideal but had to do it because of the rules at the time.
    EmmEve wrote: »
    I thought kids were entitled to their own bedroom after they turned 10. Before then they can be expected to share if necessary. Can't remember where i heard that though so i could be wrong! Have you conatacted your HIC to ask them exactly how the entitlement works?

This is what I mean about an urban myth. Everybody thinks they know the rules so it must be true but they don't know how they know. I will do as you say and contact the allocations officer on Monday. I just thought with all the knowledge on the forums somebody may have had a fight over a quarter. The boss won't be happy if we don't get another 4 bed and if she's not happy she will make sure I'm not happy. I'm trying to find out the rules so that I can fill out the forms with the necessary information/ stretched truth / mistakes :wink: (wrong date of birth/ extra family member etc) so that there is one less thing in my life that she can nag me about.
    EmmEve wrote: »
    Btw not everyone wants to put their kids in boarding school and not every kid wants to go to boarding school!

I won't get posted abroad again so boarding school is not something I would consider. I didn't have kids to let someone else bring them up. They grow up too quickly and I don't want to miss it.
  • EmmEve
    EmmEve Posts: 260 Forumite
    Options
    Official rules and regulations don't seem to be forthcoming in the forces environment do they? :rotfl:
  • Sparky29
    Options
    Managed to find my answer by Googling (isn't the tinternet brilliant :D) in JSP 464
    14. Applicants, including WOs, with 4 or more
    children of any age, or 3 or more children age 10 or
    over,
    are to be allocated a Type D.
    http://www.defence-estates.mod.uk/publications/jsp/jsp464/JSP464Part2.pdf page 47

So my 16 year old daughter is still living with us full time and is still in education on my application form. She might even lose a year just to be on the safe side ;) so as not to complicate matters.

Also read something of interest on page 39. If the RAF don't get what they want they get a private hiring. I joined the wrong company!! The Army (and dependants) are second rate citizens in the forces :mad:
    0320. Opt out of One Down. RAF personnel are entitled to SFA of the correct
    entitlement as a condition of service
    . On those occasions when SFA one type below
    entitlement is offered, RAF personnel may exercise their right of opt out and be provided
    with alternative rented accommodation to their entitlement.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure