We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Unable to get my car out of space.
ianeverton
Posts: 117 Forumite
in Motoring
This has probably been asked a hundred times but all searches seemed to be concerning blocked driveways.
Anyway, problem i have is neighbour opposite and left of me. He has a car and a van but doesnt use his drive. It is annoying but i have no problem with this as there is nothing i can do about it.
Today i came home and as usual his car was parked opposite my house on other side of road,with a space in front of his house.
I parked in front of his house and i can assure you i was in no way blocking his driveway. When my wife came home she told me A Hole had blocked my car in.
He has moved his car right up behind my vehicle and parked his van across his drive and right up to the front of my vehicle.
I might possibly get my car out without making contact with either of his vehicles but i severely doubt it. Also i think he probably has CCTV and any contact he would probably call the police or report to insurance even if it was just a "touch".
In the two years we have lived here he wont acknowledge me or even look at me.
Any suggestions of where i stand and how to approach this situation would be appreciated. My first thought is that he is obstructing my free passage.
I accept all postings are purely opinion.
Many thanks.
Anyway, problem i have is neighbour opposite and left of me. He has a car and a van but doesnt use his drive. It is annoying but i have no problem with this as there is nothing i can do about it.
Today i came home and as usual his car was parked opposite my house on other side of road,with a space in front of his house.
I parked in front of his house and i can assure you i was in no way blocking his driveway. When my wife came home she told me A Hole had blocked my car in.
He has moved his car right up behind my vehicle and parked his van across his drive and right up to the front of my vehicle.
I might possibly get my car out without making contact with either of his vehicles but i severely doubt it. Also i think he probably has CCTV and any contact he would probably call the police or report to insurance even if it was just a "touch".
In the two years we have lived here he wont acknowledge me or even look at me.
Any suggestions of where i stand and how to approach this situation would be appreciated. My first thought is that he is obstructing my free passage.
I accept all postings are purely opinion.
Many thanks.
0
Comments
-
Go knock on the door first and ask him politely to move it.if no joy then call the police.Sorry
:money:0 -
just out of curiosity, why did you park in front of his house and not either in front of your own house or up your drive.
the only way is to ask him politely if he can move his car so you can get out.
tell him your drive was blocked when you came home and couldnt get into it.
be calm and polite.make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
and we will never, ever return.0 -
I agree, all you can do is be a good reasonable person with him. Do not assume what sort of a person he is unless you know for certain, it could be a misunderstanding or he may have thought you have plenty of space or just been careless. Do NOT try to be cocky or nasty or ordering him to do anything, just let him know politely you are unable to move your car and if he could move one of his to let you out you would very much appreciate it.
If he turns out to be an A hole (i.e. does something other than moving his vehicle) don't bother with him again and call the police as suggested by Motmac.0 -
anniehanlon wrote: »just out of curiosity, why did you park in front of his house and not either in front of your own house or up your drive.
the only way is to ask him politely if he can move his car so you can get out.
tell him your drive was blocked when you came home and couldnt get into it.
be calm and polite.
I parked in front of his house because the road is only wide enough for a single car to park so the cars are always parked on his side of the road as he always has at least one vehicle parked (lives on his own) so is either out in his van or car and his car was parked on his side of the road opposite my house when i got home.
I dont park my car on the drive as i have an older car and my wifes car is only about five months old so gets the priority of the drive also my wife shouldnt have the hassle of not knowing if there will be anywhere to park when she gets home with two kids.
I appreciate why you asked the question but i have always been of the feeling that with parking it is first come first served as long as everyone is legal and doesnt obstruct driveways or pavements. I honestly dont have a hang up about where people park it is because he even went to the trouble of moving his car to ensure i was blocked in.
Thanks for taking the time to respond.0 -
Of course you are right about approaching him politely and i hope i do always show respect to people (probably why i get cr**ped on).
But if i need my car and he is out or i ask him to move and he says he cant as he has had a drink. I know i am jumping the gun but i am thinking worst case scenario as he has so purposely blocked me in.
I guess in those circumstances i would maybe write a politely but blunt letter saying i will take pictures and inform the police if it occurs again and he prevents me from going about my business unhindered.
Any thoughts? thanks.
|I feel this could run and run.0 -
ianeverton wrote: »Of course you are right about approaching him politely and i hope i do always show respect to people (probably why i get cr**ped on).
But if i need my car and he is out or i ask him to move and he says he cant as he has had a drink. I know i am jumping the gun but i am thinking worst case scenario as he has so purposely blocked me in.
I guess in those circumstances i would maybe write a politely but blunt letter saying i will take pictures and inform the police if it occurs again and he prevents me from going about my business unhindered.
Any thoughts? thanks.
|I feel this could run and run.
It's a bit of a bolshy way to start when you have no idea why this has happened.
If someone came to me and asked me to move my car I'd do so gladly. If someone put a letter through my letterbox telling me to move it 'or else' then I'd do nothing until the police came to tell me to move it.0 -
Do you need to go anywhere tonight? If not leave it til tomorrow. Hes probably waiting for a reaction so try and make him stew!
When you need to leave ask him politely to move so that you can get out. Just be casual and say would you be able to move your vehicle as I appear to be blocked in. If he refuses ask again politey, when he refuses again say If you dont then I'm afraid I will need to ask the police to move it, then ring the police. Its called willfully obstructing someone and the place I used to live at I had problems with commuters blocking me in so I couldnt get to work. The police told me to call them and they would remove vehicle if i had any problems.
I also have had problems with where I used to park for work with residents blocking me in.....a colleague saw her and her daughter moving their cars to do it. When I politey asked if they minded moving them so I could get out I was met with a barrage of abuse. They refused the police was called, once she realised I was actually calling them she moved. Other colleagues have had abusive letters left on windscreens, dog !!!! on door handles, and been blocked in as well.
Parking is an emotive issue. God know why....much more important stuff going on!
Fully understand what you are saying about drive and children.0 -
Based on previous experience I advise to not write any kind of letter or make any kind of threats.I once stuck a note through a near-by neighbour's letterbox, who I thought were probably reasonable people and would respond like normal people, but they just sent hell my way. Now I know for certain they are scum and best not bothered with at all. I can understand why you might feel like doing it but I strongly recommend against it.ianeverton wrote: »I guess in those circumstances i would maybe write a politely but blunt letter saying i will take pictures and inform the police if it occurs again and he prevents me from going about my business unhindered.
Any thoughts? thanks.
I know it's probably not what you want to do or hear, but is there possibly another street near-by on which you could safely park?0 -
It's a bit of a bolshy way to start when you have no idea why this has happened.
If someone came to me and asked me to move my car I'd do so gladly. If someone put a letter through my letterbox telling me to move it 'or else' then I'd do nothing until the police came to tell me to move it.
To be fair Generali if you read my post this wouldnt be my first line of approach and i am guessing YOU are not the type of person who would move their car purely to block someone in (another neighbour saw him do it). Behind his car there is plenty of room so he wouldnt have to have parked on my bumper.0 -
There's also a forum here http://www.nfh.org.uk/ that discusses specifically these kinds of issues0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards