1899 & NTL

Options
Sorry if this is a repeat of previous threads but I couldn't find what I was looking for.

I have an NTL phone line and have just signed up for 1899.com, also figured I better get one of these diallers as I don't want to reprogramme everyone's numbers on my handsets!

However looking at various threads are there some calls I shouldn't route through 1899 and dial through NTL?

Basically I need to know what to use when to save me the most money :)

Comments

• Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    The only calls you should allow to go out on NTL are the ones you get free from them (if you get any).

Otherwise, NTL have a connection charge of 5p per call and then charge per minute (although it appears that local calls are 0p/minute at weekends).

Calls via 1899's cable landline 0808 number will cost you 3p each connection and 0p/minute at all times.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Shaanbles
    Shaanbles Posts: 228 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Heinz

Does this mean I'll pay 5p connection to ntl and then 3p connection to 1899? Although even that's better than paying NTL's actuall call charges!

Should I sign up with anyone else as well as 1899?
  • fbrj
    fbrj Posts: 376 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Shaanbles wrote:
    Thanks Heinz

Does this mean I'll pay 5p connection to ntl and then 3p connection to 1899? Although even that's better than paying NTL's actuall call charges!

I have a friend with a dialler and is also on cable..

they use 1899 for almost all calls - except [as the previous poster mentioned] any calls that they get free (for them this means evening and w/end calls through telewest). They use 18185 (same family as 1899) for some international.....peak rate 0870 calls and w/end calls to mobiles. u sign up for 18185 the same way as 1899.

any other nos u need, you don't need to sign up for in advance - but put them into your dialler.....when you have one!! [eg dial around for 0845 calls or 0800000190192 for free directory of enquiries....]
  • Heinz
    Options
    Shaanbles wrote:
    Thanks Heinz

No.

To access 1899, you'll use 1899's cable landline freephone number 08081708708 - it's freephone so you won't pay NTL anything.

The only cost (for calls to UK 01/02 numbers) will be 1899's 3p connection charge.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • echo
    echo Posts: 1,728 Forumite
    Options
    Heinz

ne idea why i can still get thru using 0808 170 7474? bin using it since last year.
  • Heinz
    Options
    echo wrote:
    Heinz

ne idea why i can still get thru using 0808 170 7474? bin using it since last year.
    Yes.

That's another of their numbers - still shown elsewhere on their website (HERE).
  • Shaanbles
    Shaanbles Posts: 228 Forumite
    Options
    echo wrote:
    Heinz

Signed up for 1899 today and in the confirmation email they sent me it said to dial 0808 170 7474 from non-BT lines, so must be upto date number.
  • Heinz
    Options
    Both numbers appear to be useable (they're just shown in different places on their website).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure