Moving house - E-ON

Options
koe_182
koe_182 Posts: 56 Forumite
Im currently in the process of moving from one rented flat to another rented flat.

we currently have storage heaters so are on a economy 7 plan, anyway, the new flat has gas central heating.

we are planning on keeping with E-on purely because our bill states we are in £230 debit, we pay £91 a month currently.

anyway, we'll want (if poss) our gas with the same supplier and hopefully get a ok deal.

speaking to E-on today they said i'd have to call on the day i move to give final meter readings before setting up a new account at our new address...

does this mean we'll have to pay up what we owe or can we transfer it across and take gas with them and carry on paying direct debit?

im really puzzled by all this!

thanks

Comments

• brysiewysie
    Options
    Are you on a 'normal meter ie not prepayment in both old and new addresses?

You can call with a meter reading up to 5 days before you move or soon after. If your new property is also with Eon you can transfer the debt, if it's not with Eon it will take 6 weeks to get that transferred to them if you start that process off. You'll have to ask Eon to hold off on trying to collect the existing debt until your new supply with them starts.

It's similar with pre-pay meters.
  • koe_182
    Options
    yes they are both normal meters.

are E-on quite open to holding off on collecting debts on home moves?

is it possible to find out who supplies a property?
  • Gavioli_UK
    Gavioli_UK Posts: 183 Forumite
    Options
    koe_182 wrote: »
    Im currently in the process of moving from one rented flat to another rented flat.

we currently have storage heaters so are on a economy 7 plan, anyway, the new flat has gas central heating.

we are planning on keeping with E-on purely because our bill states we are in £230 debit, we pay £91 a month currently.

anyway, we'll want (if poss) our gas with the same supplier and hopefully get a ok deal.

speaking to E-on today they said i'd have to call on the day i move to give final meter readings before setting up a new account at our new address...

does this mean we'll have to pay up what we owe or can we transfer it across and take gas with them and carry on paying direct debit?

im really puzzled by all this!

thanks

Don't assume that a dual fuel deal is the best. With my own consumption pattern, I am better off from 2 different suppliers.
  • openpen
    openpen Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    It's always better to stay with your same supplier when you move and this is because they will carry the debt over. But don't worry, no energy supplier will ask for the full amount in one go whether it be £5 or £500 - all debts are negotiable. As long as you keep in touch and make reasonable offers of payment (usually over 3 months) then you shouldn't have a problem.

If you have a large debt that you simply cannot afford, it's best to let them take the supply over at the new address so you can spread the debt along with your normal consumption.
  • openpen
    openpen Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Oh, by the way - if you give eon a ring they will tell you who supplies your new property, no questions asked ! I've done it and they just said (when they found out BG supplied) that if I would like a quote to feel free to ring and they would be able to do this for me.
  • Joyful
    Joyful Posts: 2,426 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    As Openpen says most suppliers will allow your debt to be paid off over 3 months. Just make sure you cancel any Direct Debit as some will take full and final settlement on your final bill. Also do your homework to make sure you are with a competitive supplier.If you cannot pay your balance over 3 months then you can transfer this to your new property once supplied by Eon . .
    Self Employed, Running my Dream Jobs
  • koe_182
    Options
    just going back to this one, just had a new bill issued from E-on on our new property, before this was issued we were £25 in credit so all well and good...

anyway this bill is for £196.36 for the last 3 months which seems reasonable..but the break down worries me:

total electricity charges : £1.69
    Total gas charges: £213.91

minus DD discount etc...

it obviously looks like they've messed up the elcectricity, the reading on moving in was 33 and now they have estimated a reading at 40...7kwH doesnt sound like much.

what do i do?

i wanna drop my DD amount down if this is a correct bill.

my gas also seems high, is 520units in 3 months a lot? considering we havent had the heating on much at all?

the meter reader person took a gas reading but i dont know if its accurate, also i dont have access to the electricity meter room, we have no key and all the other residents i've asked dont either, the letting agents cant find one either...not sure what to do about that one...

what do people suggest? just blatenly ring up and ask to lower my DD after latest bill and not mention the readings? or explain the situation?

ta
  • brysiewysie
    Options
    koe_182 wrote: »
    .........what do people suggest? just blatenly ring up and ask to lower my DD after latest bill and not mention the readings? ...........
    ta

.......But will you complain when it catches up with you and your DD gets increased dramatically?
  • koe_182
    Options
    .......But will you complain when it catches up with you and your DD gets increased dramatically?

of course i will, im British...:beer:

what about the rest of the question, can anyone else help?

ta
  • koe_182
    Options
    spoke to E-on about this obviously accept that the elec usage is wrong, they have tried asking for a key of my agents too but have been told no...what can i do? are they a standard key to meter rooms in case of emergeny?

E-on are going to send me a gas key so i can check that myself.

thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport