BFPO question

Options
Hi,
I've managed to confuse myself looking at the BFPO website so thought someone here may have more experience and therefore be able to advise.

I am currently in Cyprus and I want to buy one of these on ebay.

I've emailed the seller and they won't ship direct to Cyprus. However the parcel is within the size & weight guidelines for BFPO. They use a company called DPD for shipping from Germany who work with Parceline in the UK.

This is where I get confused. On the BFPO website Parceline are listed as a company that is under direct contract with BFPO however am I right in thinking that for this parcel to get to me it has to go via Parcelforce - it can't be sent direct from Germany via DPD & Parceline?

If this is the case then I think I would need to get it sent to my parents who then send it via Parcelforce but that's not very Moneysaving & I couldn't claim the VAT refund then either. :rolleyes:

Can anyone clear this up for me or suggest where else I could buy a height adjustable playpen!
(there is another seller on Ebay but they don't respond to messages so I don't know if they will send direct to Cyprus)

Hope that makes sense to someone

Cheers
Feb 14 GC - £89.37/£300

Comments

• Cat695
    Cat695 Posts: 3,647 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds to me like he doesn't understand the BFPO system and just thinks your some rip off merchant.......probably easier as you said to get it sent to your parents then onto you (though more costly obviously)

Have you not looked for one in cyprus, Nicosia would have something surely or email a uk seller and see what they come up with
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have failed to plan properly

I've only ever been wrong once! and that was when I thought I was wrong but I was right
  • clarkey1000
    Options
    I can't seem to find anywhere else on the internet that sells playpens where you can adjust the height and I haven't been in Cyprus long enough to know if it's something I can get out here - or made for a reasonable price.

Apparently they're very popular in Holland - I first saw one at the house of a Dutch friend but hers was passed down through her family.

I'll keep hunting and if all else fails I'll get it sent via my parents - I am going to the UK for a holiday soon but I'm not sure I'll have 13kg of spare luggage allowence!!
    Feb 14 GC - £89.37/£300
  • lee634
    lee634 Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    Options
    Cat695 wrote: »
    Sounds to me like he doesn't understand the BFPO system Why would he understand the BFPO system there is no need to he is a German supplier

Clarkey

It may be an idea to get it sent to the UK then onwards from there if you want this one so much, it may be less hassle that way
  • rugbyrules
    Options
    DO you not know anyone who is stationed in Germany. If you go get it sent there and then shipped to you in Cyprus through R&D.
  • clarkey1000
    Options
    That's a thought. I'll see if my other half knows of anyone.
    Feb 14 GC - £89.37/£300
  • Marker_2
    Marker_2 Posts: 3,260 Forumite
    Options
    You could forward the link of BFPO to the site you are buying off and highlight the bits that apply to you?
    99.9% of my posts include sarcasm!
    Touch my bum :money:
    Tesco - £1000 , Carpet - £20, Barclaycard - £50, HSBC - £50 + Car - £1700
    SAVED =£0
    Debts - £2850
  • Bigun28
    Bigun28 Posts: 473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    A lot of companies don't understand how the BFPO system works. Basically you pay for the UK postage element which delivers it to the BFPO central distribution centre in Northolt (used to be Mill Hill in London). It then enters into the BFPO system free of charge - no extra postage costs to travel to theatre.

As well as all of the companies listed on the BFPO web site, I found that there are quite a few others that will do tax free shopping and deliver through BFPO. A lot of the time it was just a case of asking the company and explaining to them how the system works.

When I was in the Falklands, some UK companies were trying to charge me the full postage costs to the Falklands. However, I explained how the postage works and said that I was taking the risk if they only put the UK postage costs on and it didn't deliver to me in theatre. Once they understood, I never had a problem.
  • sarahsarah
    sarahsarah Posts: 332 Forumite
    Options
    Hiya

Can't you get one of the playpens that you can get with your quarter? Assumung you are in a furnished MQ like we are in Gib!

And then, try and buy the fabric bit on its own (just looked on ebay, they are on there, just would have to check if its the right size!) Or you could have one made...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure