Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Old VHS Tapes

Are there any charities that take these? The blank ones I mean.

It seems a shame to throw them away if they could make money from them.

Also floppy disks.

Comments

• We had this same problem with a load of blank tapes when we got rid of our video a couple of years ago, we found that the only people that would use them ar e

A, others with a video - few and far between these days

B, People with CCTV camera systems as they often use VHS to record.

As for Floppy disc's sorry i cant offer any advice
  • Well if you really want to recycle and you are wiling to puay then this is the only option I've ever seen anywhere but no idea if it's still going...

You can post unwanted VHS casettes boxes and all to:
    The Recycling People
    Unit 1 Wolf Business Park
    Alton Road
    Ross-on-Wye
    Herefordshire
    HR9 5NB
    The hard plastic cases are reground and recycled as are the cases and any cardboard inserts, any metal parts are also recycled. The tape is currently non-recylable.
    There is a charge for this service (£5.85 for up to 50 pieces).
    For further details contact [EMAIL="recycle@keymood.co.uk."]recycle@keymood.co.uk.[/EMAIL]
    They also take CD,DVD and audio cassettes.

Hope that helps a bit.
  • Ianna
    Ianna Posts: 581 Forumite
    My local oxfam takes them - they find tapes great because they have cornered the market in them now they're not being made. Apparently some people still really want them.
  • Sally87
    Sally87 Posts: 54 Forumite
    I had no idea so few people used videos these days - I can understand wanting to watch things on DVD, but surely not everybody has a DVD-recorder?

Anyway, I use videos all the time to watch and record, so to answer the OP, I have seen (and bought :)) blank tapes in my local Red Cross shop. Now, I'm off to have a cry about being so far behind the times (and I'm only 21!).
  • we just got sky plus....OMG its brilliant for recording onto...dont want to press record on my video now still sat there anymore....
  • Hi, I take all my old vhs tapes to our local Tesco's car park re-cycling
    centre and there can usually be found an Oxfam Bin, just for vhs tapes.
    Our local Council gave me the idea. I have taken loads of my old vhs tapes there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure