Credit Issues after postings abroad

Options
I moved back to the UK last year after 7 years at BFPO addresses.
I have been following your web site and have applied for cash back credit cards and most recently an A&L account but have been refused all.
I do not have any debt so am aware i may not have much of a credit history but it is becoming really annoying being refused for everything, is there anything i can do about it. Incidently i have recently applied for and been offered a mortgage.
Any advice would be gratefully received.
Thank you

Comments

• Alias_Omega
    Alias_Omega Posts: 7,912 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think the problem is that you’re not on the electoral role if you live on raf / army / navy station.

I noticed this in the past, I elected to be on the electoral role, and when I went to buy a car, when they put the postal code in. I was one of three people living on the whole station.

Tracking you down can be a problem, and if they can’t find you. Cant issue someone credit, who can’t be found.

Houses are different I guess, if you fail to pay, they just take it back. With a credit card, it’s unsecured.
  • marcustandy
    Options
    AFAIAA, your starting point needs to be to get a credit check done. (Search the site for info on this).

Hopefully this will point you in the right direction of what is causing the problem. A (now a civi) friend of mine, a switched-on officer type (!), had a similar problem. It turned out to be a £15 mobile phone bill that he didn't receive before he was posted abroad, and was never forwarded on to him.

So, an outstanding mobile phone bill, about half the cost of a night out, was preventing him buying a house!!

Good luck.
  • Cat695
    Cat695 Posts: 3,647 Forumite
    Options
    I think the problem is that you’re not on the electoral role if you live on raf / army / navy station.

I noticed this in the past, I elected to be on the electoral role, and when I went to buy a car, when they put the postal code in. I was one of three people living on the whole station.

Tracking you down can be a problem, and if they can’t find you. Cant issue someone credit, who can’t be found.

Houses are different I guess, if you fail to pay, they just take it back. With a credit card, it’s unsecured.

Yep i totally agree with this.....i had the same problem and when i checked my credit rating it was fine.....spoke to one of the credit guys and when i mentioned i was in the forces he said the biggest problem we have (guys and gals in the forces) is not being on an electrol roll...ie a credit checker can't find you

ring your local council and ask them....very easy to do...ring up they send a form which takes 3 minutes to fill and send it back (all free) takes about a month to get on it though so you will have to wait a little before trying again
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have failed to plan properly

I've only ever been wrong once! and that was when I thought I was wrong but I was right
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure