Minimum service - Royal Navy Officer

Options
Hi, I am looking into joining the Royal Navy as an officer, however could someone please tell me what the minimum service is? On the website it mentions
"All Officers join the Royal Navy on a 12-year Initial Commission.".

Is it true that you can give 12 months notice after your Basic Training, if you don't think you want to pursue it any more?

Comments

• Alias_Omega
    Alias_Omega Posts: 7,912 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Depends on leaving times for that trade. If the manpower is having a massive cut, then it can be as easy as 6 months, or if its thin then up too 2 years.

Not really anything that can be looked into at the moment, as they change from month - month.

If you want for RN Pilot, and spent 5 years training, they certainly would not let you go after 1 years service.

But if you were a catering officer, and that involved 6 months training then maybe so..

Contact the RN Careers office.
  • Trying_to_be_good
    Options
    You can leave at any time during training, after that there are various different lengths of return of service for your training.

I think Alias_Omega is talking about ratings return of service, but his advice to contact the Careers Office is spot on.
    Mortgage Free thanks to ill-health retirement
  • peterg1965
    peterg1965 Posts: 2,153 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sandeepan0403, what branch are you applying to join? As a basic rule of thumb you can apply to leave at any time before you reach the 'trained strength'. For a Warfare/Logistics Officer that is about 2 years or so after you enter Dartmouth. For an Engineer it is about the same but complicated if you go down the bursary route through University. You would be obliged to pay back the Bursary if you leave before the end of the 'return of service' on the trained strength. The initial commission (IC) is for 9 years for all branches, with the option to give 12 months notice to leave early. I do recommend that you get the formal advice from the Careers Office.
  • sandeepan0403
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice. I was looking to join as a Engineering officer. It would not be via the Bursary scheme. Thanks once again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure