How much should I take on holiday?

13»

Comments

• Garetha
    Garetha Posts: 981 Forumite
    pkwales wrote: »
    I drove to the south of spain last year and never paid a toll , there is always an alternative. I am doing the same again this autumn.
    ps. I have just bought a sat nav does anybody know if I can avoid toll roads and still use it.
    I believe TomTom will warn you if tolls are involved and offer to re-route.
    Others may also do the same. Have a play!
    What model is your SatNav?

I always check with the route planner www.mappy.co.uk
    You have the option of 'Express' or 'without toll'

In France it will give you the cost of the tolls so you can make an informed choice. In other countries it will avoid tolls but not tell you how much you might save.
  • Don't drive down in a convoy - if you are in front, you are constantly looking in your rear view mirror to check where the others are. If behind and you get other cars between you and your friends, you wonder where they have got to. Arrange a meeting point in advance - every 2 hours or 150 kilometres works well and ensures you don't drive too long without a break. On an autoroute it's easy to stop at a service station, on other roads we always used to meet at the welcome sign for a town somewhere. Don't forget it's now law to carry reflective safety jacket and warning triangle in France - but if you get stopped, the Police will just tell you off - until October that is. Why? Because the manufacturers couldn't supply the demand, so they had to put off the implementation date...
  • We went to France this year, first time for a few years, and found it very expensive.

We ate and drank :beer: very well for two weeks (2 adults and 3 children) but it cost us £843 in food and drink :o and £345 in petrol/tolls which was much more than we budgeted for:eek: and much more than we've spent in years before. I think the weak Euro and the general price rises in petrol and food had an affect as well as underbudgeting.

However the sun shone, the kids were fab, we chilled and had a super time and it was well worth every penny. Every penny which is now being paid off the CC.
    Working Hard to be Debt Free - one day :A soon
    DFW Long Hauler 74; Mortgage overpayments MFiT-2 challenger 100
    Total Nov07 £36000, Sep10 £1623:o:)
  • Garetha
    Garetha Posts: 981 Forumite
    ... I think the weak Euro ...
    I think you mean 'weak £' - the € is now about 80p compared with about 67p a couple of years ago.
  • I have the same problem - please dont be too hard on me this is my first posting.

I've made the mistake (if you can call the holiday of my lifetime a mistake) and booked a flight to Australia in December for a month. I'll be visiting relatives for a part of it but dont want to impose too much. The rest of the time I need to make best use of my time and money whilst there. I am travelling alone so need to stay safe but am really getting anxious about how I do this with nothing in the bank at present.

If you are wondering why does someone book something like this then let me give you a bit of background, single parent of three children, lifes always been a struggle and i'd been paying £10 a month into a policy for ten years, I got £120 over what I'd paid in at the maturity of the policy and I thought sod it I cant see how Im going to ever do this trip if I dont use the money to pay for flights. Now causing me sleepless nights! any suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance
  • The three of us have just come back from 10 days in France (Royan) and my daughter (bless her) has just worked out the total cost, as follows:

Ferry (sleeper out, express back) £491
    Two B&Bs £96.28
    Travel insurance (unused) £13.80
    Breakdown assistance (unused)£24.75
    Car insurance supplement (unused)£17.00
    Gite for 1 week (self-catering) £807.00
    Cash £409.84 (spent - we took £500)
    Boat trip £21.31
    Toll roads £18.70
    Petrol £116.02
    Food (supermarket & meals out) £283.19

TOTAL £2,281.89

Does that help?
  • taka
    taka Posts: 3,483 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I have the same problem - please dont be too hard on me this is my first posting.

I've made the mistake (if you can call the holiday of my lifetime a mistake) and booked a flight to Australia in December for a month. I'll be visiting relatives for a part of it but dont want to impose too much. The rest of the time I need to make best use of my time and money whilst there. I am travelling alone so need to stay safe but am really getting anxious about how I do this with nothing in the bank at present.

If you are wondering why does someone book something like this then let me give you a bit of background, single parent of three children, lifes always been a struggle and i'd been paying £10 a month into a policy for ten years, I got £120 over what I'd paid in at the maturity of the policy and I thought sod it I cant see how Im going to ever do this trip if I dont use the money to pay for flights. Now causing me sleepless nights! any suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance

I would recommend getting a Youth hostel card. I think you can buy them with Tesco clubcard deals (NB for some reason the scottish YHA is cheaper than the English YHA so get the scottish one if you can!!). When I went to Oz (8 yrs ago now) you could get all sorts of discounts on accom, travel and sites with it and it was well worth the money. Staying in youth hostels was the cheapest way of staying somewhere for a few days and means you can buy and cook your own food (though if you are arriving late somewhere have food with you even if its pasta+pesto as the hostel shops are often kinda pricy - oh and buy a cheap paring knife too as the knives are terrible/blunt/missing in most hostels) and travelling by bus was cheapish. Staying in Youth hostels is also a fab way of meeting other people travelling around too, especially if you'll be on your own. I met some lovely people this way who really helped to may my trip an amazing experience. Don't be afraid to check the hostels out before agreeing to check in (unless you've booked ahead or are arriving at a funny time/day) and ask your fellow travellers for accommodation advice - they may well tell you where to stay or avoid. It worked pretty well for me! The YHA hostels were great if a little souless if you want to make sure you are safe and not take a chance somewhere strange. Some hostels will be looking for casual workers too (not the YHA's) - often a free meal or reduced/free nights in exchange for cleaning/reception work or similar may be possible! Good luck.
    Mortgage free as of 12/08/20!
    MFiT-5 no 45
    You can't fly with one foot on the ground!
  • I have long thought that UK petrol was the most expensive in Europe so I avoided filling up before I got on the ferry in Dover. Huge mistake! With the current Euro exchange rate of 1.20 petrol on the French motorways was costing £1.32 per litre, best supermarket price was £1.23. I suggest you fill up before getting on the ferry, there is a Tesco a couple of roundabouts before you enter Dover via the M2.
  • P&O Dover ferries are doing a great Euro exchange rate on board. At the ferry terminal the rate was 1.16 with a £3 commission, in France it was 1.20 with Euro5 commisison, on the ferry it was 1.22 with no commission - they guarantee to beat the banks exchange rate.
  • Just going back to expensive theme parks etc in France - there are some now on the Tesco Clubcard scheme - hth someone.

We're going to South France with Siblu (Haven in France) and paid for the holiday with Clubcard Deals - now I just have to find the spending/food money! At least red wine should be cheap!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure