FAX machine

Options
adr0ck
adr0ck Posts: 2,374 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
PLease can someone help me

does anyone know if its possible to buy a fax machine......that will

accept voice calls and faxes..........without going silent and then making spluttering noises so that everyone puts the phone down (if voice calling) (canon b840)

able to have an extension phone on (ie more than one handset) (samsung sf-345tp)

plus i need answer phone capabilities........

do i have to have two seperate lines for it to work (i.e. fax and voice)

thanks for any help

Comments

• dc
    dc Posts: 2,547 Forumite
    Options
    There were a couple of devices years ago that would "recognise calls" and switch either to a phone or Fax as appropriate.

Sorry I cannot remember the names. Dont know if these Fax switches are still available.

Found Fax- Friend appears out of stock.
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=12084&QV=Y

As they cost around £50, have to be the first inline from the telephone socket and can lead to messy wiring. I would get a Dect Fax machine with built in answering machine. These have an internal switch and you will be able to add extra dect phones around the house without wires.

Philips Magic Vox 3 and BT On-air dectf@x+, come to mind.
    ac's lovechild
  • 2ax
    2ax Posts: 645 Forumite
    Options
    I don't know how old the OP's machine is, but I thought that almost all of them nowadays would automatically detect voice and fax as different. Is there maybe a default setting that could be altered? And you should be able to manage with one line unless you are a high user (business?)

If you don't actually use fax a lot, you can get a fax to email service, free to receive with an 0870 number :o , or on a subscription basis for send and receive. I don't know how prices compare for different quantities though, machine paper ink etc. And I've only received one on mine in several months, so am no expert.
  • DonnyDave
    DonnyDave Posts: 1,579 Forumite
    Options
    2ax wrote:
    I don't know how old the OP's machine is, but I thought that almost all of them nowadays would automatically detect voice and fax as different. Is there maybe a default setting that could be altered? ....
    That's what I thought until I tried to setup a HP Office 5110 All-in-One to do this. The only "auto" option that can be switched on or off appears to make it answer all calls (when on) or no calls (when off). So off means that you would have to manually receive faxes when you pick up the handset and hear the tones.
  • m00nie
    m00nie Posts: 2,314 Forumite
    Options
    couple of weeks ago i got a brother mfc-410 cn fax printer scanner all in one which does all op states :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure