thick external overflow pipe leaking

Options
Hi, I have an external overflow pipe which is leaking from my flat. My OH adjusted the ballcock and it seemed to have solved the problem but it has started leaking again. Just to confirm is the thickest overflow pipe normally from the toilet or the central heating? and also will adjusting the ballcock in the water tank solve the problem?

I am clueless when it comes to things like this and I have the maintenence british gas 300 cover which supposedly covers external overflow pipes, does anyone know if this defo is covered?

Just waiting for OH to come home from work and if it is still leaking tomorrow I will phone if this is the case.

Comments

• wallbash
    wallbash Posts: 17,775 Forumite
    Options
    Over flow from coldwater tank or toilet is now a 15mm plastic ( white ??) pipe.
    If you suspect the toilet, quick peep in the cistern will tell you if the water is discharging , also the cistern will always be 'filling'.
    Same with coldwater tank, but access could be more difficult.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,060 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    BG 300 cover should cover most heating, plumbing and drain issues. I had a random pipe leaking out of the loft space and they came and fixed it with no questions.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Canucklehead
    Canucklehead Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    Options
    wallbash wrote: »
    Over flow from coldwater tank or toilet is now a 15mm plastic ( white ??) pipe.
    If you suspect the toilet, quick peep in the cistern will tell you if the water is discharging , also the cistern will always be 'filling'.
    Same with coldwater tank, but access could be more difficult.

Hi

Doh! When did they change that then?

Here am I fitting three quarter inch (22mm) overflows ( because you need to fit an overflow the next size up from the incomming supply) and I don't need to.
    To the OP, adjusting the float level will just delay the inevitable. It most likely needs a new washer. Other problems include a water filled float or a damaged seating.

Corgi Guy.
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • wallbash
    wallbash Posts: 17,775 Forumite
    Options
    sorry you are correct :p
  • savetospend
    Options
    Hi

Doh! When did they change that then?

Here am I fitting three quarter inch (22mm) overflows ( because you need to fit an overflow the next size up from the incomming supply) and I don't need to.
    To the OP, adjusting the float level will just delay the inevitable. It most likely needs a new washer. Other problems include a water filled float or a damaged seating.

Corgi Guy.

Yes, think it did just delay the inevitable. I wasn't sure at first as there was no water running constantly from the tank, and checked the cistern and all seemed fine, but today the leak outside from the overflow came back worse and when OH tried adjusting again, one of the pipes at the cold water tank (don't ask me which one, Im clueless) started spraying.

So called BG so just sitting in waiting for them to arrive, neighbours are probably going scatty as the water is really hitting hard off the bottom flat, hope I don't get any bills from dampness or something.

Anyway, hopefully problem solved, will keep you informed, Thanks everyone for your help. :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure