Electric floor tile stripper - will it work?

Options
I lifted up the laminate and discovered some greyish square tiles. They are very thin, slightly bendy but when i try and move them, they tend to come up in bits and the process is very slow.

I was considering hiring an electric tile stripper - do these work in general and would it work on suck thin tiles (stuck to concrete)
Thanks

Comments

• squiggles
    squiggles Posts: 1,635 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    no help with your question about tile strippers but i got mine up using a hammer and wallpaper scraper :) this was for glued on cushion floor tiles.
  • TimBuckTeeth
    Options
    I also used a wallpaper scraper and a flat screwdriver to remove these type of tiles which were stuck on with tar like stuff. They do break if you do it slowly, but if you hack at them with the blade under the edge or use a hammer to knock the scraper and they should come up fairly easily, most came off in one piece.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We've got these and were told not to do anything with them because they might contain asbestos. We'd already broken off the loose bits and as the rest was so well stuck down, we just retiled over the top.

They didn't make any difference to laying the new tiles because they're so thin.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • TBeckett100
    TBeckett100 Posts: 4,732 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Options
    thanks, will have to chance taking them up as wood floor will only bond with concrete underneath
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure