We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Car share scheme
Hello! Don't usually post on here, but I'm sertiously thinking about getting rid of mycar and joining a car share scheme such as Streetcar or Zipcar. I live in London and realy only use the car for the occasional trip home to see the rellies and taking the cats to the vet. I can do my shopping by bike.
Has anyone else signed up for one of these? How good are they? Anything I should look out for?
All advice v.welcome!
Has anyone else signed up for one of these? How good are they? Anything I should look out for?
All advice v.welcome!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realise that we cannot eat money.
0
Comments
-
Bump!
Anyone...?Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realise that we cannot eat money.0 -
Errmmm,
The likes of Hertz, Avis etc. seem to be ideal for your circumstances and have been around for a long time
0 -
-
I think Zipcar is brilliant!
I only use it occasionally, it's perfect for this and was invaluable when I was moving flat.
Zipcar good: 60 miles per day free, no C-charge, choice of cars
Bad: more expensive at weekends, you can only buy extra insurance to cover your £500 damage excess on a yearly basis (about £60)
...also... Mini Cooper's like going fast... this could endanger your licence!
Streetcar good: insurance can be covered by the month, also gives you Streetvan, more locations
Bad: 30 miles per day free, C-charge not included, only VW Golf's & Polo's
With both, there's petrol etc. included, and no real hidden extra's. You pay your yearly membership - look out for a deal and/or negotiate this down. You pay your hourly fee, and off you go - but the C-charge with Streetcar is worth considering.
Naughty behavior fee's like late returns could be a sting in the tail (at least £25, check the T&C's), but the rules are clear, play by them and you'll be fine. I've never had one.
If you work out the cost for longer trips you'll usually find it cheaper to go to a normal rental company. Check before you get landed with the bill.
Always check for damage when you go to pick up your car. Report it to the company before you drive away or you'll be liable.
I highly recommend the idea. Both company websites show you where the nearest cars are without you having to sign up. Try it out!
I'll post a message in the Referrals board of this forum, for some free Zipcar credit :beer: ."Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate, Watson."0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards