We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

France

Options

Comments

• 2ax
    2ax Posts: 645 Forumite
    Options
    droopsnout wrote:
    They have two prefix numbers which you use to obtain cheap rate calls. I have not found cheaper, and, believe me, I have tried!
    as I suggested, search the home phones board for France

Télésoldes, Télérabais, Appeldiscount, Appellemonde and others are worth looking at - cheaper rates to UK mobiles - down to 12c/min

Télésoldes, like it's UK equivalent 1899 (same woman's photo!), often has 0c and 1c/min tariffs for foreign calls - about 18 countries at the moment, though it is rare for this to include Royaume-Uni.
  • droopsnout
    droopsnout Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you, 2ax.

The Télésoldes website is here.

Calls to UK landlines appear to be 3 centimes a minute.

Presumably, the cheapest solution is to go VoIP, using Skype or similar. But as this involves having broadband, and this is not available in many rural areas, it can't always be done.
    Much of the social history of the Western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. - Thomas Sowell, "Is Reality Optional?", 1993
  • Quasar
    Quasar Posts: 121,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The reason you don't find a site like this in France, Italy, Spain, Germany etc. is that Continental Europe does not have a culture of large borrowing by private individuals except for mortgages. Credit cards are used more for convenience than to borrow, and high debt, where it exists, tends to be resolved with help from family members.

This is not to say that there is no space for forums offering good financial advice in countries other than UK/USA, and I think there are.
    Be careful who you open up to. Today it's ears, tomorrow it's mouth.
  • Mado
    Mado Posts: 21,776 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Don't think I can add very much to this exaustive review by droopsnought... (very impressive....)
    I lost my job as a cricket commentator for saying “I don’t want to bore you with the details”.Milton Jones
  • Claude_2
    Claude_2 Posts: 247 Forumite
    Options
    Same here droopsnout... not that I don't want to help, but I've been in England for over 20 years, so I'd be useless...

About time I spent more time in France actually!!!
    "There is something about the presence of a cat...that seems to take the bite out of being alone.” Louis Camuti
  • Claude_2
    Claude_2 Posts: 247 Forumite
    Options
    Oh and I do love your avatar!!
    "There is something about the presence of a cat...that seems to take the bite out of being alone.” Louis Camuti
  • droopsnout
    Options
    Well, Andrea and Edinburghlass, we hardly set the world alight here! Don't even know if Chessfou has come back to look at this little lot!! ;)

If it's of any significance, another MSE member has contacted me to say that he has a wealth of knowledge about living in Poland.
    Much of the social history of the Western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. - Thomas Sowell, "Is Reality Optional?", 1993
  • 2ax
    2ax Posts: 645 Forumite
    Options
    That's the way it goes - you may never find out if the original person ever read it, like some stuff about mobile phone in Barbados that I did yesterday (I haven't been there; just knew a bit about where to look).
  • droopsnout
    Options
    Too true! Shame really, when people as for advice then don't return to read it!

Tough cheese for all concerned!
  • miacat
    miacat Posts: 3,966 Forumite
    Options
    well droopsnout, i have read your posts and and i appreciate all the info given. ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport