MBNA - 2nd account - anyone successfully applied?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
7 replies 1.3K views
niceshoes_2niceshoes_2 Forumite
456 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
Has anyone been succesful in being accepted for a 2nd MBNA run credit card, whilst still having a card with them already?
Nice Shoes & Expensive Designer Handbags, are my downfall!

Replies

• My husband applied for a virgin card while already having MBNA card. Virgin card was issued, but the balance on the MBNA was reduced by the credit limit of the Virgin card. This was not a problem, as the interest free period on the MBNA had already finished.
  • The way I see it, if you have to successfully apply for a second card in the same name, they have to interpret the two applicants as two separate people (except if they reduce the limit on the first card), which tantamounts to falsification of information.

So, my take on this is that one shouldn't try applying for multiple MBNA cards - I'd wait for the first MBNA card's 0% period to get over, and then cancel that card, and apply for a new one, in a serial fashion. The only thing I'd hope for is that MBNA don't get a near-monopoly of all credit card issuers, else it'd be very painful having only one card at a time!!!
    It's always the grass that suffers, irrespective of whether the elephants are fighting or making love !!!
  • niceshoes wrote:
    Has anyone been succesful in being accepted for a 2nd MBNA run credit card, whilst still having a card with them already?

I have 3 MBNA credit cards and also one with Alliance and Leicester which is also with MBNA, I had no problems getting them, however i recently applied for an Abbey CC and was refused this, i think they are also MBNA.
  • My virgin 0% period runs out next month and I like the idea of only having to pay £5.00 minimum payment per month. This gives me freedom to pay off extra if I have it, and not being forced to pay x amount minimum payment per month. Thats why I was thinking of applying for a 2nd MBNA run card, when the 0% period expires with Virgin - to give a bit more flexibility in terms of how much I have to pay back each month.

Thanks for your replies - I'll give it a go
    Nice Shoes & Expensive Designer Handbags, are my downfall!
  • charlieboycatcharlieboycat Forumite
    375 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    niceshoes wrote:
    Yes - no problem. Had an Alliance & Leicester (ie. MBNA) card for several years. Applied only a few days apart for 0% balance transfer cards with both Abbey (MBNA) and Virgin (MBNA). Got both - and overall doubled my total MBNA credit limit. Promptly transferred original credit limit from A&L card to Abbey card - and then stoozed Abbey and Virgin for 9 months.
  • dcdc Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    I have had three for a while, MBNA, since they started, Abbey since before (as they took it over) and an A&L card for a year. They did get a little shirty with credit limits as the first two came to £20k, and I wanted £5k BT, so they insisted on a limit shuffle. Dont know where I stand as it seems they also took into account another family member's £9k limit as well.

Havent bothered to check as I dont want to rock the boat yet.

HTHs dc
    ac's lovechild
  • omega27omega27 Forumite
    260 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Have had a Thomas Cook card for a couple of years. Got a call last summer asking if I wanted another card for spending (had BT'd onto the existing card). Got £3k limit, used it for a short while until I discovered AMEX & closed it. Stay in Holiday Inns & constantly get Priority Club VISA e-mails, so applied. Got given the same £3k limit @ 0% plus a free 10k points.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals