Components for building new computer

Options
Hi,

I am building a computer for my grandparents, who haven't had a computer before. I have gathered together from eBuyer the following components. Could you tell me whether they will all be compatable and if you have any differnet recommendations? The total is around £250 included a monitor.

Monitor
Samsung SM793S 17" FST CRT 0.23DPI Monitor – Beige - £64.62

Case
Ebuyer Extra Value KG-828 ATX Middle Tower Case in Beige with USB2.0/Audi/8cm Case Fan and a 350w PSU - £15.27

Motherboard
Asus A7v880 SKT A VIA KT800 ATX Sound GiG LAN USB 2.0 FSB400 SATA133 Retail Box - £36.74

Processor
AMD Sempron 2400+ (SDA2400DUT3D) Processor 256KB cache FSB333 – OEM - £36.99

Graphics Card
Connect3d ATI Radeon 7000 32MB DDR TV-Out Retail Box - £16.63

Hard Drive
Seagate ST340014A Barracuda 40GB 7200RPM ATA/100 2MB Cache – OEM - £30.72

Memory
Kingston 256MB DDR PC3200 400MHz 184pin CL3 Memory Module – £17.97

Modem
Creative Labs Blaster 56k Internal PCI Modem – OEM -£10.05

CD Drive
LG GCC-4521B 52x32x52x16 Internal IDE COMBO (Beige) – OEM - £23.79

Keyboard, Mouse and Speakers
Ebuyer Extra Value Beige Basic Keyboard & Scroll Mouse, Speakers Bundle - £5.82

Thanks

Comments

• irnbru_2
    irnbru_2 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Options
    Processor
    AMD Sempron 2400+ (SDA2400DUT3D) Processor 256KB cache FSB333 – OEM - £36.99

IIRC, OEM processors don't come with a fan.

Did you include an OS?

Have you built a PC before?
  • jonnymeldrum
    Options
    No I haven't built a PC before, and I already have an OS. Thanks for the indication about the fan, I didn't realise that.
  • greyster
    greyster Posts: 2,392 Forumite
    Options
    I don't see a problem with the spec. The parts will work together. I am assuming as this is a first PC it will be used for basic word processing, surfing the net etc - not much else.

Good luck it with. All I can think of is to be careful with the cheap case - its very easy the cut yourself with the cheaper cases - sharp metal edges.

Edit - If you buy the retail box version of you process for a few more pounds, you get the fan + heatsink + a longer gurantee.

G.
  • jonnymeldrum
    Options
    Thanks, the Pc will just be used for basics.
  • jonnymeldrum
    Options
    With regard to the processor, I have changed to the:
    AMD Sempron 2200+ (SDA2200BOX) 256KB L2 Cache Skt A Retail Box Processor with 3 Year Warranty Heatsink and Fan included
    which is about £10 more.
  • greyster
    greyster Posts: 2,392 Forumite
    Options
    that's the one. The retail version is good value.

Unless you want a super efficient heatsink or ultra silent fan, you can't beat the box version.

Edit -

You may already know this so ignore if you do. Protect your equipment by being grounded at all times when assembling the PC. Handle the hardware on the edges do not touch the bare components. If you fail to do so you may not notice any damage for days, weeks or months. However the damage may dramatically shorten the life of the components which can potentially last for years.

Best thing to do is use anti static straps to channel the static. Failing that keep your arms rested on the case while assembling and be extra careful.
  • Dennis99
    Dennis99 Posts: 387 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    No I haven't built a PC before, .

You might be interested in this, it's a real help for self build. (Also downloadable as a pdf.)

http://www.microdiy.co.uk/Hardware/How_to_Build_Your_Own_Computer/index.htm
  • jonnymeldrum
    Options
    Thanks again for the advise. I was aware of the anti static wristband as I have read all of buildyourown.org.uk, but thanks anyway. I will also have a look at the guide Denis, it may be useful as I will be building the computer next a pc without internet.
  • irnbru_2
    irnbru_2 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Options
    Floppy Drive?

Check if the retail CPU comes with thermal paste. My most recent retail one didn't.

EBuyer

mobo - 58200 - cheaper Motherboard but may need flashed for Semperon.
    mobo - 83810 - cheaper still
    mobo - 51760 - even cheaper

If you can save on the mobo double the RAM.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure