Silent Calls.Ofcom take action.

in Phones & TV
6 replies 833 views
Ofcom have finally started doing something positive about Silent Calls.

See http://www.ofcom.org.uk/media/news/2005/10/nr_20051031
PF.

Replies

• gizmoleedsgizmoleeds Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Any abandoned calls must carry a recorded information message which identifies the source of the call and offers the person called an opportunity to decline further calls from that source;

Calling line identification (CLI) must be presented on all outbound calls from call centres using automated calling systems. CLI allows people to dial 1471 and access the telephone number of the person or organisation calling them;
    Both exellent developments, but I suggest we just declare war on silent calls companies!

ARsurrender.gifARJeep04.gifARguns02.gifARarmyHL.gifARHelicopter2.gifARtank07.gif

:rotfl:

Edit: Apologies for loss of pictures - last time I use that image hosing company!
  • Sofa_SogoodSofa_Sogood Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Will it include silent calls to mobiles?
  • It's all very well to have the caller ID, but ...
    We called you earlier and will call you again another time

It might help if the idiots could be arsed to say who they are, instead of ringing 10 times this week
  • jellyheadjellyhead Forumite
    21.6K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i just lodged an online complaint about a company who's called 3 times in less than an hour, silent calls. they called a 4th time just now (it's after 8pm - can they do this??) and it's a call centre, avon, i'm an avon rep and this is a call centre for people to try and sell me special offers. grrrr!

i'm with the TPS so iassumed it was some offshoot of a company i've given permission to call me, but i don't want sales calls after 8pm, especially not silent calls where people don't leave a message!
    52% tight
  • meadowcatmeadowcat Forumite
    417 Posts
    That's good to hear. Even though I am on TPS a few weeks ago I was getting a silent call every two hours during the day and this went on for a couple of weeks. Some people, elderly or alone, might be upset or frightened by that.
  • jellyheadjellyhead Forumite
    21.6K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it really annoys me that even a company you're registered with can do this to you. i'm waiting for a reply to my query about getting my info taken off their books - i don't mind them calling me about my account but i don't want junk sales calls from them.
    52% tight
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND GUIDES