orchid dialer and just dial help please

in Phones & TV
10 replies 947 views
Ive signed up for just dial which starts on the 7th of nov, im thinking of getting an orchid dialler to make choosing the cheapest way of calling easier.

so far ive come up with:

morning calls and mobiles'18866'

evening and weekend calls use current Carrier Pre-Selection no prefix number needed

0845 bt (1280 prefix)

0870 bt (1280 prefix for bt)

international land line and mobile'18866'

i realise that 1899 may be cheaper for mobiles and some international calls but im already with 18866 and i dont make many calls to mobiles.

Have i missed any phone numbers i need to get programmed into the orchid dialler ?

thanks

Replies

  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're wrong on calls to UK mobiles weekdays - 18185 now charge 5p/minute.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Jon_S_4Jon_S_4 Forumite
    259 Posts
    Uniform Washer
    Thanks for the info Heinz,

    updated info below, anything ive missed ?

    thanks

    morning landline calls '18866'

    all time mobiles call 18185

    evening and weekend landline calls (just dial) use current Carrier Pre-Selection no prefix number needed

    0845 bt (1280 prefix)

    0870 call 18185

    international land line and mobile'18866'
  • This is the cheapest routing set up at the mo.

    :cool:

    TOG
    604!
  • Jon_S_4Jon_S_4 Forumite
    259 Posts
    Uniform Washer
    thanks for the info.....couple of questions..

    whats the dialaround for the 0845 peak ?

    do i get the Directory Enquiries 0800 0192 190 programmed into the orchid dialler to dial the number if i type in 192 ?

    thanks
  • fbrjfbrj Forumite
    376 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Jon_S wrote:
    thanks for the info.....couple of questions..

    whats the dialaround for the 0845 peak ?

    do i get the Directory Enquiries 0800 0192 190 programmed into the orchid dialler to dial the number if i type in 192 ?

    thanks

    When you come to program your dialler you will find the appropriate dialaround number (08444626868##) on the drop down list - similarly there is another entry on the drop down list which means that if you dial 118 something something something - it will in fact be dialling a freephone number ...behind the scenes! [I found most of the members of my household...who use them phone the most, were too young to remember 192!]
  • bbb_ukbbb_uk Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    Jon_S wrote:
    ...do i get the Directory Enquiries 0800 0192 190 programmed into the orchid dialler to dial the number if i type in 192 ?
    I have setup our dialler so that all calls beginning 118 xxx or the older 192 will be routed to the freephone DQ service.

    To set this up:-

    1. Under the 'Carrier' table, add '08000192190 - Free Dir Enq' as a carrier (eg as carrier number 5 or whatever is the next free carrier).

    2. Now under the 'Routing' table, add '118 - Translate Directory' and set the carrier for the daytime, evening and weekend to whichever carrier you selected for the free DQ service under instruction 1.

    3. Now under the 'Routing' table, add '192 - 192 Translation' and set the carrier for the daytime, evening and weekend to whichever carrier you selected for the free DQ service under instruction 1.

    That's it!
  • Jon_S_4Jon_S_4 Forumite
    259 Posts
    Uniform Washer
    thanks for all the help guys, i will place an order for an orchid dialler then.
    what info do i need to give them so they can set it up for me (sseing as its free !)

    im with just dial as my "Carrier Pre-Selection" service.

    so do i email them the following info ? Is this enough info ?
    will i be able to edit the settings if charges change seeing as i didnt set it up in the first place ?

    sorry for all the questions !

    01/02 Geographic off peak -'just-dial Saver Lite' (CPS)
    01/02 Geographic numbers peak. 1866.
    Landline to mobile. 18185
    0844/0871 BT all all times (1280 to bypass CPS).
    0845 Peak. (dialaround) 0844 462 68 68
    0870 Peak 18185
    0845/0870 Evenings and Weekends BT (1280 to bypass CPS).
    Directory Enquiries 0800 0192 190 (when dialing 118 XXX or 192)
    international landline and mobile 18866
  • onzeyonzey Forumite
    830 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Don't forget that with just dial saver off peak calls to mobiles are 1ppm for first 20mins and at weekends 0.75ppm for first 20mins although a minimum 5p charge applies I think.
  • fbrjfbrj Forumite
    376 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Jon_S wrote:
    thanks for all the help guys, i will place an order for an orchid dialler then.
    what info do i need to give them so they can set it up for me (sseing as its free !)

    im with just dial as my "Carrier Pre-Selection" service.

    so do i email them the following info ? Is this enough info ?
    will i be able to edit the settings if charges change seeing as i didnt set it up in the first place ?

    sorry for all the questions !

    01/02 Geographic off peak -'just-dial Saver Lite' (CPS)
    01/02 Geographic numbers peak. 1866.
    Landline to mobile. 18185
    0844/0871 BT all all times (1280 to bypass CPS).
    0845 Peak. (dialaround) 0844 462 68 68
    0870 Peak 18185
    0845/0870 Evenings and Weekends BT (1280 to bypass CPS).
    Directory Enquiries 0800 0192 190 (when dialing 118 XXX or 192)
    international landline and mobile 18866

    Either phone them or send them an e with the details of the set up you want. You can amend later as/if necessary.
    Don't forget your 20% discount!
    1866???? [on your table - did you mean 18866 or 1899?]
  • Jon_S_4Jon_S_4 Forumite
    259 Posts
    Uniform Washer
    fbrj wrote:
    Either phone them or send them an e with the details of the set up you want. You can amend later as/if necessary.
    Don't forget your 20% discount!
    1866???? [on your table - did you mean 18866 or 1899?]

    thanks, yes i meant 18866...
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides